UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Judas Jump

This is a bit of a new discovery for me. I was put off by all the descriptions of it (somewhere I read that it was bombastic prog rock) but it is quite smart prog flavored pop rock.

The LP itself has three crappy throwaway numbers - 49 fingers, mississippi turnpike and private holiday camp but the rest of the songs are solid generally upbeat numbers with some catchy tunes among them. There is probably a overuse of horns but its a solid album and very enjoyable. I can't imagine why it seemed to be a failure. I note that Andy Bown and Alan Jones were part of the group but I don't know much else about them. Anyone else heard this LP or know something about these guys?

Re: Judas Jump

I don't have anything important to add, but I was curious too because of the Andy Bown connection. I may have to investigate further!

The band was formed out of the rubble of The Herd and Amen Corner; the two bands provided three members beween them to the new outfit. From memory, they played the Isle of Wight festival in 1970. I'm guessing the pop star background of the members made it hard to cut it as a progressive group, and they probably had a credibility problem.

Gareth

They were heavily hyped at the time which went against them in an era and genre where credibility was increasingly important. They were seen in a similar light to the Tremeloes and Love Affair in their attempts to go progressive. They did some good songs but were a bit inconsistent.

Never heard the Tremeloes-go-progressive songs! Now I'm curious, as they made quite a few brilliant "psych" songs. The Love Affiar proga alum was not that bad really and the Judas Jump one I also think is in the same league. Not an essential LP to have, but some good tracks for sure.

Gian i think Austen might have been referring to the 1970 album "Master"by The Tremeloes,its actually a pretty good album,as for the Love Affair or should i say L.A. prog like album "A New Day",i find that a very enjoyable listen,the Repertoire cd with some nice extra tracks is worth getting and can be found pretty cheap.As for Judas Jump,i had never heard of them till i read this post,it sounds very interesting and i felt the urge to open my wallet and order a cd copy,heres hoping im not disappointed.

only know the 2 Parlophone singles Run for your life/this feeling we feel.

I think its a darn good album despite the 3 crap songs. Obviously Andy Bown retained his pop sensibilities, and the album really is more pop than prog all up. I quite like the conventional pop-rockers such as Cully and Run for your life, but there is a bit of variety here. Worth hunting down. Sadly the reissue CD does not include the last single made by the group and as a result I have yet to hear it.

You all talking about the "Scortch" lp?

Elicits yawns.