UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Rokes

Been spinning the excellent Rev-Ola comp 'The Rokes In English'
Quality stuff from start to finish, 'Telegram For Miss Marigold' , as pretty a piece of Psychy pop as you'll find anywhere..Gritty freakbeat and orchestrated popsike, even the more straight beat numbers have little psych flashes...whatever style, it's a pretty consistent set, shame it's only 16 tracks.
Now I know they made 4 Lps and most of their stuff is in Italian and that there are anthologies around with that material on...I'm thinking some of that stuff must be good...Anyone have non-English Rokes?

Re: The Rokes

Yes The Rokes,a splendid little group who were accepted by the Italians.Painterman,i had all 4 albums on cdr a few year back,there are other english tracks to be had.....from what i can remember but for some reason werent included,what we really need is for all their recordings to be issued as a box set of sorts,NOW that would make for interesting listen.I'll try and hunt those cdrs out,if i come across them,i'll e-mail ya and i'll copy them for you.....When the Wind Arises indeed!!!!!!From what i remember some smashing stuff.

Painterman,ive hunted out 3 cdrs of Rokes gear,volume 2 and volume 4 and a collection of minor hits.If you fancy getting a copy,i can burn them onto cd for you.Post me off line,as i can send tracklists too.....thats if you could sufffer my terrible Italian...lol!!!

I have this and also think it's a great little comp. When The Wind Arises is one of thee great psych tracks.

Well I was involved in some way in that nice Rev-Ola comp. (so had my thanks on it and 2 free copies at least!). We tried to put together the more psych-pop oriented songs, there are a few other English sung tracks, more beat and rock and roll oriented though, to my ears less interesting but still nice. Shel wrote me he had some tapes from German RCA after the CD was issued, but then we lost touch and no idea what was on them...