UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Legay

Came across a facebook page called Legay:High Flying Around where it's mentioned that one of the ex members is writing a book on their local scene in the late 60s. This being Leicester, with the great Family also originating there. In fact after reading this I found that Family's drummer Rob Townshend was actually a Legay member before joining Family. There's also another page on their later name change to Gypsy.
One of the messages that got me interested was that they had some previously unreleased recordings from 1967 that they were interested in putting out. Someone from Guerrson Records had replied that they would be keen to release whatever they had.

Re: Legay

Hi Greg,i have a Gypsy cd "The Romany Collection"which i thoroughly enjoy,nice wee booklet too giving some history including Legay with fab period photos of Legay before they morphed into Gypsy,but maybe its just me but some of the tracks on this cd remind me of Moby Grape and have that US west coast vibe to them,this cd was released by Hux Records in 2004.But imo a cracking collection which features the full first Gypsy album and a plethora of bonus tracks of varying quality as some of them were old acetatesetc.But to see a release of more unreleased stuff from Legay and Gypsy would be pretty exciting i think.Bring it on!!!!!

I have the self titled Gypsy album. They deliberately took on a more west coast US sound when they changed names.
Reading the Legay info it says they started out as a Tamla/soul covers type. Didn't sound like that on their one and only excellent single, No-one. That is one great psych track.

I'm sure Phillips / Fontana had a whole bunch of recordings from 1967-8 that they didn't release as 45s until 1969-72. Legay's 'No-one' sounds more 67 that 69 and Johnny Burton's 'Pole Vault Man' sounds more 1968 than its 1972 release date.

PM

I'm sure Legay was 1968? There have been mention of an acetate floating around for several years, but whoever has it isn't sharing....

Feb '68 according to cat45 so not far away from '67.