UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Chubster

Hello Rob, good to see u makin an appearance on here mate, love yer comps!

Chubs released a couple of 45s backed by Dutch band De Maskers mid to late 60s, maybe they were the backing band on the Chequered LP? It's a great LP and I particularly love Goodbye Victoria and My Mind. Gypsy was supposed to be from the same sessions I've heard and is another great track.

Apparently Chubby refuses to talk about the LP and gets very bitter about it. That may be more to do with the exploitation of the material by Ed Chalpin with presumably little reward for Chub, or maybe because like Muddy Waters view on Electric Mud, he hated the music.

There was an article in Ugly Things some time ago where CC was interviewed about the album and he seemed a lot happier about it. As he wrote everything on it his huffinees was probably due to the lack of sales on it at the time when it was something of a labour of love for him. He explained in the UT article that he felt driven to come up with something new because of how people like Hendrix had beenr received and he wanted to update his sound. It is a pity it never took off at the time but it's much better knopwn nowadays at least.

PM

You've done well to get a UK copy of it, the most respectful issue of this material in my opinion and also the best pressing. It's pretty scarce too.

Thanks yes, the UK issue is definitely the best quality pressing of it. The Spanish edition is the only one eluding me and that has an extra track on it not found on the others.

P