UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jason Crest

Would say I've been spinning the wonderful Collected Works of Jason Crest on Wooden Hill recently but it would be more true to say its hardly ever off!
Been working my way thru some great comps recently, but thats another story and in-between em
every night for the last week tho I've been going for a little dose of the 'Crest...Teagarden Lane is such an absurdly brilliant slice of phased to the max melodic pop psych its just sad it was never released and given the proper treatment, which is true of so many of the songs on this set, Patricias Dream starts off all soft sike and in comes the phasing again...Collected Works of Justin Crest, Charge of the Light Brigade- all really as good as it gets imo...
The quality of the songs in the unreleased material on this is as good and sometimes even better as the singles themselves..
It would have been great if they had put out an album at the time I'm sure if they had it would now be considered a classic of the period.
I think up there with the cream of Brit pop psych....anyone else love em?

Re: Jason Crest

Agree with everything you said Painterman,this in my opnion after the Mike Stuart Span Wooden Hill cd is probably one of the best collections of uk psych on cd,its hard to believe that a lot of this stuff lay collecting dust for over 30 years untill Dave Wells delved into unchartered cd waters by bringing this great music to the uk psych enthusiast,my fave piece of psych from Jason Crest is "Black Mass",a fab doomy piece of a song with demented looped tapes all through it,5 minutes of craziness and pretty exhausting,pure magic to my ears,but i also love "Turquoise Tandem Cycle",with its smashing wah wahd guitar and cracking organ runs,had the Status Quo heard this as it has a bit of them in it?,this track was released in January 1968,when was the Quos first album released or first single released as The Status Quo?Who influenced who ya think(if at all...lol)??Other fabby UK psych archived cd releases nearly up there with Both Mike Stuart Span and Jason Crest,are Turquoise(revola)),Majority One(RPM),The Mirage(RPM) and The Sorrows "Old Songs New Songs"(wooden Hill)all 4 are magical with Ruperts People(Circle Records) not far behind those......man the list could go on........,Hats off to those companies big and very small who unearth stuff from the archives for us to hear,and a lot of it deserves to be heard.
Painterman have you heard the self titled Orang- Utan US only album from 70/71 that featured members of Jason Crest?Its a heavy album with little relation to my ears to the sound of Jason Crest, mind you its a a couple of year on and UK psych whimsy was a fad disappearing fast(another example would be The End morphing into Tucky Buzzard,love the first album BTW)),i love a few tracks on the Orang-utan album,but on the whole i think its a decent slab of UK acid rock,yep you read correctly,uk acid rock.........but not your US West Coast style acid rock,nope the UK variety(which ive not discovered much of) some may call it Freak Rock,say something like The Pink Fairies"Never Never Land"could be a nice companion piece or the better sides from Edgar Broughton Band......now im rambling....lol.......what im trying to say Painterman is its well worth a listen!!!!!

Agree that Jason Crest had one of the best unissued at the time albums, as did Mike Stuart Span. For me though I think they are both topped by The Attack. Their full comp is a beauty.
As for Jason Crest, one other track that I don't think they themselves liked, but I do, is Juliano The Bull. Agree with Stuart about Black Mass. If this is what they sounded like at the end of their time together, it's a pity they didn't last a bit longer.
Orang-Utan still has some psych moves in amongst the hard rock and prog. Similar in a way to the studio band Rumplestiltskin.

My son (nearly 17) & I still sing 'King Of The Castle' when in the appropriate building/ruin.
'My House Is Burning' is an under appreciated classic with great proto punk lyrics

Thanks for mentioning Jason Crest, Painterman. I had only heard Black Mass but I bought the CD from Nick at Heyday and what a treat it is. Great songs throughout.

Hi Jim,
Glad you liked it, I'm always getting turned on to great sounds by the folks on here, RZ rules!

Anyone know if JC singles were ever played on POTP with Alan Freeman ive since found out The Creation were in 67 Life Is Just Beginning.