UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pop Cycles, other delights & general RZ thumbs up-ness!

Greetings 'Zoners..
Just thought I'd take a few moments just to say how much I really enjoy taking part on here and how much it has broadened my horizons and expanded my collection. It's always a really informative and sometimes really funny read, all in the best of humor, I've probably picked up something interesting from every one of you on here at some time or other.
Particularly like to thank Phil Potting Shed, the Whopping Mr Wizz from down under, Stuart and especially Mark Kirk for helping me out with some impossible to find, out of print since forever rarities and excellent home made comps...
Trip to Toytown and Pop Cycles in particular...every bit as essential as any commercially available collections out there imo...
Highlights of the Pop cycles are too many to mention and most of you on here are probably tuned in to em anyway, but I'll never forget hearing the 2 Illusive Dream tracks that open Vol 11 and thinking Wow! Can't believe these have not been comped before...I especially like the way that Soul & Funk sit together nicely with Folk & West Coast Sunshine Pop on the same disc. I wish there were more comps like these that were more broad in their spectrum of sounds...
Even since series like Pic Sunshine, Mixed Up Minds, Le Beat Bespoke etc have come on the scene, a lot of the Pop Cycles stuff still remains commercially unavailable...like to say a huge thank you to Paul Martin for such an amazing bounty of sounds, lovingly put together. I hope all this doesn't come across all sycophantic but I was just feeling a genuine appreciation for what you guys do.
Long may the Pop Psych fairies sprinkle pixie dust on your Toadstools!!
I'll leave you with words from the Guvnor.....

photo Screenshot2013-08-04at190421_zpsa5716c48.png

Re: Pop Cycles, other delights & general RZ thumbs up-ness!

Painterman,you dont come over as sycophantic mate.i've been taking part on RZ for many years now and im still learning and hearing stuff i had never heard off,its great to see someone so enthusiastic about this great music that we discuss on here,its my only hobby really,well i call it a hobby its went way past that as i think its turned into an addiction,i can never wait to hear of new psych/folk/pop and other sounds mainly from the years 66-73 the others have heard.I have come across some lovely people on here,some that have went AWOL through the years and some that are still here.I always check in here to see if any new posts are waiting to be read.and i do participate myself sometimes,but not as much as i would like.Anyway Painterman and all the other folk on here,thanks for making this fun to be part off and for passing on knowledge.
Thank You
Stuart

Now playing 6 Feet Under-In Retrospect cd(released on Arf Arf Records)

must say i agree painterman lots of real free giving on here in many forms and feel that adds the the spirit of the board and a real big thankyou to crumbly who keeps the board alive for us all to enjoy for me he is a unsung hero who ive had the great pleasure to meet a really down to earth guy

Always good to have like minded(or not at times) people come on board. I'm always happy to share this sort of great music.
Nice of people like the P-Man to show his thanks, gratitude and general all round niceness towards others too.

Thank you so much for the Pop Cycles eulogy Painterman! It's been years since I finished that series, but fantastic to know how effecting it has been for you to hear them, thank you very much for sharing your thoughts, it's the biggest reward ny compiler could ask for. I shall have to revisit some of them myself as I have not played them for a long time. While I am at it, I should also slap the backs of those who mastered the sound and designed the art work etc. as Pop Cycles was always a collaborative effort.

There was a time in the early 000s that home-made CDR comps were coming thick and fast from and via people who posted here, it was all the rage. I guess up and down loading rather curtailed all that, but it seems you are catching up with and digesting the back catalogue of RZers DIY comps in large doses. I can imagine that would be a real buzz to get so many at once! Very pleased you are digging them all and also great to find the RZ community is as willing to share and enthuse about the music as ever. Thanks again for your humbling words.

Paul

I totally agree. I log in every day hoping to find words of wisdom from fellow marmaladers. long may we run.

You're more than welcome Painterman, and my thanks to you as well for sharing a goodly batch of Mind Blowers and other mind blowing aural delicasies.

RZ has been one of my favourite stops on the web for many years... I remember thinking back when the original bravenet site died that it was the end of an era. But as Phil said, I think Mr. Chrimble has done an exemplary job of keeping it alive and well. It's always a treat to read what everyone has to say, especially when it opens the ears to something unknown, overlooked or even forgotten.
So yeah, I'll chime in with a great big "Thank You" to all of you guys... long live Regal Zonophone!