UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Rainbow Chasers

Rainbow Chasers...25 distant spins from the record box that time forgot...
Nice collection of mostly turn of the 70s pop (with some 60s thrown in)
2 Vols comped by Paul Martin that have not seen much circulation on here...

Can't tell you much about most of the tracks on here, most of them are new to me..

Vol 1 opens up with one of those 'can't believe this hasn't been comped before'
moments with 'Victoria Dines Alone' by one Alex Campbell, a real sixties 'kitchen sink' piece, huge 60s drums & orchestration..almost toytown, but with a slightly sinister undercurrent...love this...
A couple of sitar laden and phased to the max trax from Brian Hyland, I'm guessing maybe from his '70 album but don't know for sure as I don't have that one..obscure Brit mods The Pentad who had a track apiece on the Sweet Floral Albion & That Driving Beat comps a while back get another of their sides aired here for the first time as far as I know...couple of tracks from Elli of Never Mind fame...a few from Bob Saker and a whole host of interesting allsorts...
A mixed bag, kinda similar to some of the more eclectic Vols of Pop Cycles.

Any of you who would like copies just drop me a line, will post anywhere.
Many Thanks again to Paul M

Re: Rainbow Chasers

Hi Painterman,never heard of this collection of what sounds a very worthwhile pot-pouri of sounds.As for the Brian Hyland tracks you mention,i have the self titled album which is a good un,but i cant think of any sitar laden tracks on there,i would love a copy of those Rainbow Chasers collections,but Painterman i can send you Brian Hylands album if you fancy it!!Paul made some really good comps but this is one that escaped me,Paul when did you make this one mate??Any other plans for any future comps?

You'd be right not to believe Alex Campbell's version of Tom Paxton's 'Victoria Dines Alone' hasn't been comped before! It's on rpm's Swinging London: The Accidental Genius of Saga Records CD.

ive not heard of this one before would love a copy painterman..

Hi Andy, I've got that swinging London comp somewhere too!
Problem is, probably got more cds than memory cells left!

Stuart the Brian Hyland trax are Come With Me & Delilah, must be from a 45...
Forgot to mention there's a Del Shannon track too..'Sister Izabelle' sounds like Westover period dunno where it's from either...
I will get copies off to you soon Stuart, but you need to wait so I can get my girlfriend to copy the sweet little artwork that comes with it as I don't have a printer...I'll be in touch in a few days mate.
..And Phil too...

Hi Everyone, thanks for offering to copy the Rainbow Chasers volumes Painterman, my PC burner seems to have burned out! Glad you enjoyed them. I made both vols of Rainbow Chasers after the Pop Cycles series but didn't do anything with them. Then when Painterman mentioned Pop Cycles recently it reminded me of them and so I sent him a copy of the two volumes. As with the Pop Cycles series, they were a collaborative effort and cover art and mastering were done by others. On Vol.2 I ripped a few Youtube and ebay files for some rare titles so not 100% top notch sound maybe but all still far more than just listenable.

The two Brian Hyland tracks are both sides of a fab 1968 45 he did on Dot and are probably the best things he ever did. The single pre-dates his very nice self-titled LP by two years. One side is a co-write with Del Shannon. The Del Shannon single 'Sister Isabelle' is also a 1968 corker about a guy who loses his lady love when she becomes a Nun! (it's on Youtube as well I think). I have a nice French picture sleeve copy of that 45.

Andy - Yes, Alex Campbell's take on Tom Paxton's 'Victoria Dines Alone' is listed as being on the Saga Swinging London CD comp on RPM but as far as I recall it isn't actually on the CD. I asked Stefan Grenados who compiled it about that and he said that when he got a tape of the track from the label, it was just an acoustic version without the psych like overdubs which were presumably added after the recording of the song without Campbell's knowldge (he was a straight ahead folkie I think). So unless, that comp got reissued (Stefan??) with the single on it, the only place you will find the original with overdubs is on the actual 45 which is what I dubbed from on RC1.

Hope everyone who hears them finds something they like anyway, and thanks again to Painterman and those who helped me originally compile organise the two volumes.

PM

Does this set have the Lost Generation's 'Poor Mr. Clock'? I remember copying that for you off of eBay last summer...
I'd definitely be interested in this as well Painterman, if the offer still stands? Thanks man...

No, I was going to include it on a Vol.3 which I never got round to. I still have the file you kindly sent me though.

P

I remember Mark mentioning this and being able to listen to it at the time. I also remember it as being very good. Was there ever any info on who they were or where they were from.
Never appeared on any comp I'm assuming?

Not as far as I know, it was an ebay rip from a lone acetate being offered there which had no info about it.

PM

Here's the track lists and a few notes I quickly knockd up. Do correct and inaccuracies. I did make these comps several years ago so some will have been commercially released by now.

PM

Very brief notes Vol.1
Alex Campbell – folkie, the orchestration and experimental overdubs were presumably added after the event as the tape for this song as presented for inclusion of RPM’s Saga label anthology ‘Swinging London’ was just a straight acoustic cover of this Tom Paxton single.

Gerry Morris – all taken form his rare Just The Beginning LP on Yorkshire Television’s York label in 1973. ‘See Through My Hand’ also appeared on a Fading Yellow volume. Brian Hyland - both sides of a Dot label 1968 45 (probably his rarest, best and most expensive one), one side co-written with Del Shannon whose ‘Sister Isabelle'is a corking 1968 single that also saw UK release. Arbors, US college based vocal harmony group do a tripped out take on the Blood Sweat & Tears / Al Cooper (I think?) song.

The obscure Pentad made three 45s in the mid 60s and had involvement with Joey Moeler (Unit 4 +2, Gary walker & Rain etc) and went nowhere.. Mike Leslie was a DJ I think. This is the top side of ‘Office Girl’ which you will find on a Fading Yellow volume. Billy Fury also cut a cool unreleased version of ‘Right Or Wrong' in 1966 which you can find on his excellent ‘Lost Album’ CD. Libido were a duo that included Dana Gillespie and had the distinction of being the first single released on the Mooncrest label back in 1973 (Nazareth’s ‘Broken Down Angel’ was the second).

The tracks by Tam White (the singer in The Boston Dexters and of 1966’s The Buzz of ‘You’re Holding Me Down’ freakbeat fame) are from his self-titled and rare 1970 LP on Middle Earth. A great and under appreciated album that deserves a reissue. Moonshine was a non de plume for Clodah Rogers and American writer / producer Kenny … (surname evades me for now!). Saker is Bob Saker who made a number of distinctive 45s for Columbia in the late 60s. Jonesey were a progressive band at the turn of the 70s, with their Dawn label released ‘Ricochet’being a fine funky dance psych / meletron outing.

Rainbow Chasers Vol.1
01.Alex Campbell – Victoria Dines Alone
02. Gerry Morris – See Through My Hand
03. Brian Hyland – Come With Me
04. Brian Hyland – Delilah
05. Del Shannon – Sister Isabelle
06. The Arbors – I Can’t Quit Her
07. Gerry Morris – Plenty Of Time
08. The Pentad – Silver Dagger
09. Picca – Rainbow Chaser
10. Mike Leslie – Right or Wrong
11. Sammy Soul Set – Banana Disease
12. Libido – Hold On To Your Fire
13. Apple Pie & Custard – Dr Fantastic
14. Sparrow – I’m Coming Back
15. Moonshine – Just A Little More Line
16. Wendy Peters – Morning Dew
17. Tam White – Ladies of The Monte Madiera
18. Gerry Morris – Only The Beginning
19. Kara – Dans le Ventre D’une Enorme Beleaine (At the front of a huge whale ??)
20. Tam White – Plasma Mountain Woman
21. Lion – In My Youth
22. The Pentad – Too Many Ways
23. Saker – Foggy Tuesday
24. Tam White – L:ittle Wheel Spin and Spin
25. Jonesey - Ricochet

Notes Vol.2
Alan Merrill – from his Japanese LP from 1969-70 I think?? Later of course formed The Arrows of ‘Touch Too Much’ fame. Kinkade - a great album from 1973 (thanks Greg!) where every track is a pop gem and screaming for a reisseu. Eugene Wallace title track from his first album on EMI. Another lost gem and fully deserving a reissue. Peter Lee Stirling’s 60s 45s should all be compiled in one place, every one was a gem A & B sides alike.

Eli’s slim body of work was compiled on vinyl only by Dig The Fuzz. I thought a couple of digital outings were in order as they are so good. Mary Kent’s rendition of this perhaps untypical Jimmy ‘Witchita Linesman’ Webb song is the epitome of a classy production, what a killer single! Tammy St John’s ‘Concerning Love’ is not far behind. Recorded for Allan Hawkshaw’s Tangerine Label in 1969 it was her last 45 and £100+ buy if you can find one!

Carl Wayne proves he can sing classy pop without The Move on this early 70s outing. Ian McCulloch’s ‘Down By The River’ dates all the way back to 1964 and sounds way ahead for that year. Since compiled on a Fading Yellow comp

Rainbow Chasers Vol.2
01. Alan Merrill – Tranquility
02. Kinkade – These Heavy Times
03. Eugene Wallace – Book of Fool
04. Saker – hey Joe
05. Peter Lee Stirling – 8.35 On The Dot
06. Eli – Don’t Forget
07. Hush – Ginny (Australian private press)
08. No Entry – Behind The Moon
09. Mary Kent – The Lost Generation
10. Tammy St. John – Concerning Love
11. Carl Wayne – Candy (You Know That I’m In Love With You)
12. Gary O’Shanon Group – All We Need Is Time My Love
13. Candy Bus – Good Morning Mr Wind (Oak Acetate)
14. Mecenberg Zinc – Hard Working Woman
15. Peter Lee Stirling – Hey Mr Average Man
16. Jim McInnes – So Long Suzanne
17. Eli – My Lady Love
18. Katfish – Dear Prudence
19. Ian McCulluch – Down By The River
20. Saker – Constantly
21. Captain Rock & The Skyriders – Together
22. Anno Domini – Hitchock Railway
23. Red Alligator – Slow Down
24. Jeff Smith – Gypsy Blood
25. Truth – Castles In The Sand

i would like a copy if possible painterman. many thanks.

Hello to all who replied...
Since Paul has kindly posted the tracklists for these and I dont have a printer, I'll post these without the little picture sleeve if thats ok...
Was gonna ask my girlfriend to do em but she's visiting her mum just now.
I've got all your addresses,
I'll email all of you when it's on the way...Cheers.

I can email jpegs of the covwer art to anyone who wants it, just email me off-list with your email address.

Paul

Paul Martin
No, I was going to include it on a Vol.3 which I never got round to. I still have the file you kindly sent me though.

P

Well here's hoping all this interest in the first two volumes will inspire you!

Any left I couldnt log in the last 2 days.

Hi Steve, Email me your address mate

I don't know yours.

I've emailed you steve

What Ho Peeps
Would love a copy + artwork,
Ta very muchly

Hello, everyone who replied on here & who contacted me off line...
You should all have had an email from me by now saying your discs are on the way,
If I've missed anyone, you will let me know wont you..
Cheers

Nice one... thank you Painterman!

im really enjoying this set paul some great material many thanks to you and painterman for all your efforts

i agree. thank you.

Thanks both. I don't really know why I didn't make them available at the thime I compiled them. I think I just forgot about them! Glad you are enjoying them.

Paul

Mine arrived yesterday only played the 1st disc so far birthday today so I play more later thanks again PM.

Happy birthday Steve. Hope you had a good one.

Cheers .

The 3 Gerry Morris tracks on this collection are excellent,i had heard about the album from 73 but had never heard anything from it,it seems he used to be in 60s group (the)Cymbaline whose output is good too,so i've had to break my non buying period to get this album on cd,im so looking forward to hearing this whole album if the rest of it are anything like the 3 tracks on here.Also much appreciated are the 3 Tam White tracks,i would so love to hear his solo album from this period,i actually met the man many years ago at a jazz and blues festival here in Edinburgh and he was aghast when i asked about his 60s exploits,and mentioned The Boston Dexters among other things,he couldn't believe that a guy my age (in my 30s at the time)would know about those records,never mind heard them!!He seemed a very nice and gracious bloke with his gruff voice and at the time a ponytail if i remember correctly.Its a shame i never got to see him play live before he passed away,great character who also took up acting as well and appeared in Braveheart!!! So thanks to Paul and Painterman for giving me the opportunity to hear those solo tracks!!

Hi Stuart, glad you enjoyed those. The Gerry Morris album is a mixed bag but overall well worth hearing in full. I will rip the Tam White LP to CDR in the next week or so. It features a number of styles but it is pretty consistant in quality. It heartily deserves a reissue, though who owns the rights to the Middle Earth label I don't know! The next I found of Tam after that was on Micky Most's RAK label where he had a couple of moderate hits in the early 1970s, quite a stylistic change though. Thanks for your story about meeting Tam, I guess he'd gone so far into country and ballads by the time you met him he'd half-forgotten his own musical past! Great voice though.

Paul

there are some great tracks on these two cds. many thanks for them.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed them

Paul

My turn to chime in...
With many thanks to both Misters Martin and Painterman, I have received this set today as well. But as fate would have it, I also got my copy of the new Rhino Handmade 'The Monkees Present' box set... so it looks like Rainbow Chasers will have to wait 'till tomorrow!

Many thanks Paul,if i remember correctly wasn't Arcadiums album released on the Middle Earth label along with Writing on the Wall,or am i getting mixed up?If im not Repertoire reissued Arcadiums and Cherry Red released Writing on the Walls albums.Look forward to hearing Tam Whites album!!Mark can i ask if you're outside the UK?I would love to buy those Rhino handmade box sets but the price is sky high but i did manage to get a hold of the Head box set second hand for under 30 quid.I w3ish i could get lucky with the others!!!Oh i can only but dream i suppose!!!

Stuart Robertson
Mark can i ask if you're outside the UK?I would love to buy those Rhino handmade box sets but the price is sky high but i did manage to get a hold of the Head box set second hand for under 30 quid.I w3ish i could get lucky with the others!!!Oh i can only but dream i suppose!!!

Hi Stuart,
Yeah, I remember sometime ago there was a discussion about the Rhino Handmade sets and it was mentioned the shipping to the UK was ridiculous! I'm in Canada, so shipping is far more affordable, well sort of I guess. $20 is still kind of steep, but since missing out on on the first Handmade Monkees set (Headquarters Sessions), I've made sure it wouldn't happen again.

Monkees Present has always been pretty low on the 'Favourites Scale', but this box is really changing my opinion... lots to be happy with here!

Is it too late to ask someone to get these rainbow chasers???? Thanks again

No problem.
I've sent you an email

Just spinning Vol 2 right now and I'm starting to become more familiar with the songs, some of them are really getting under my skin, too many to mention...a whole new load of 'old favourites' if you will!
Many thanks again Paul.

Thanks P.Man, glad to know those songs are getting under your skin. I am sure the artists concerned would be most gratified to know their music is still being appreciated.

PM

Can someone who has this compilations, upload to a server ?

I have sent files to Cagri now, although he does appear to be missing some tracks. Dunno what happened, first time I've ever sent music files.

Seems to be ok now Cagri, the songs are still being uploaded.
It's taken hours but I think all the songs will show up on your side soon.

Now I have all songs Painterman. Thank you !

Thanks for taking the time to do that Painterman.

PM

Good day,

Any chance for a download link to thee 50 Rainbow Chasers files?

Really would love to hear that as well.

Sounds very promising.

320k would be smashing if anyhow possible...

Cheers :) ND

" Hangman...Hangman...hold it a little while..
I think I hear those 'Chasers a-coming, riding many a mile.."

Should be able to sort that out for you later today matey.

If it's still possible to get a link to the mp3’s iI'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hello Painterman,
I've just been reading with interest the Rainbow Chasers message thread and, while I'd love to get myself a copy of the CDs realise that you've probably already gone to a deal of trouble and expense in copying and mailing out discs to everyone who'd previously expressed an interest.
As an alternative, assuming that you have mp3's of the songs perhaps you could consider creating a free account with someone like Dropbox (which, in its words 'is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily'.) If you place the mp3's into your folder on the site, then give the user name and password to those interested, they can open the folder and download the files, saving discs, postage and time. There are probably plenty of alternatives to Dropbox too.

It's just a thought.

Regards

Robert

I'd still like to be able to download that Mr Clock track that was mentioned above. Is anyone able to upload it somewhere? And anyone know anything about who recorded it?

Thought I'd look to see if Mr Clock was on YouTube and it is. if I remember rightly this is the same track, this one being by Fapardokly from the 1967self titled album.

Hi Greg, it's not the Fapardokly 'Mr Clock', 'Poor Mr Clock' is a much differnt (and shorter) song. I will email it to you.

Paul

1 2