UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gene Clark

Being a big fan of the early Byrds I actually prefer Gene Clark's vocals to McGuinn or Crosby, plus of course he wrote some great songs for them.
Not being a fan of country music I didn't like their later albums as much. I've never really listened to any of Clark's solo material as I knew he also got well into a country style.
Can anybody set me straight on some of his solo stuff?
He was one of those talented musos who luck, success and sales seemed to avoid,never gaining the recognition he deserved.
Alex Chilton is another that comes to mind.

Re: Gene Clark

G'day sir...
I'm a big fan of the man, I do however like a bit of a country twang, an interest that was indeed sparked by the Byrds themselves...
His first solo album, 'Gene Clark with The Gosdin Brothers' ( 67? ) is superb and has not much country vibes, it's a folk rock/pop album with slight Revolver flavors in places, lotsa jangle and bendy orchestration...Buffalo Springfield come to mind a little when looking for comparisons...
This album was also repackaged by Sony under the title 'Echoes' which added some Byrds tracks.
For a taster, check out 'So you say you lost Your Baby' & 'Echoes' on YouTube.

His '74 album 'No Other' is considered by many to be his magnum opus...there's not too much country flavor on that one either, for me, I think the songs are wonderful but it's such a lavish production and I find it a bit too much and would prefer them a bit more on the raw side, but the beauty of the songs is undeniable...tracks from this album that give me chills, and there are a few, are, in particular, 'Lady of the North' & From a Silver Phial'....again on the Tube should you want to check 'em...
I could say much more, but see how you get on with those for now...the 67 album is fab imo.
Cheers

Again i have to agree with Painterman,The album with The Gosdin Brothers is excellent and was reissued on cd by Sundazed with a few unreleased tracks!!A track like "Elevator Operator"stinks of the fabs Revolver,but thats just one of many stupendous numbers...i seriously give this cd a full mark 10 out of 10,ace stuff,Painterman have you heard the Gosdin Brothers own stuff on the cd "Sounds Of Goodbye"released by the Big Beat label,24 tracks in total including many unreleased tracks backed by the likes of The Byrds and Clarence White....if you appreciate country and folk this could be right up your street mate.WEll worth investigation!!!!

get echoes it is a great album.

Oh Yes Stuart!!
I'm certainly a fan of Sounds of Goodbye...'Tell Me'...the greatest song the Byrds never wrote with killer guitar playing from Clarence White and their beautiful version of the Don's 'Catch the Wind'....luverly!!

Thanks guys. Been listening to his first album, and others, on You Tube and I can tell I'm going to need to get it.
I know it's later than what I sometimes look at, but the 1974 album No Other sounds very good too.

yes. no other is great. terrible sleeve though. what were they thinking.

Yes yes YES! Gene is one of my heroes and FAR better than the over rated Gram Parsons!
Gene's 1st, Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark, White Light, Roadmaster, No Other etc...get 'em all!

nothing wrong with gram parsons.

Gene Clark box set - Byrdwatchers fan club collection - bootleg.

Compilation of unreleased, rare, alternate takes, demos, and live recordings put together by Fans from the Byrdwatchers Fan Club, first made available in 2001.
Miscellaneous recordings of varying sound quality, but overall good to very good.

A hard-to-find gem; a fan compilation box set of the great songwriter and golden-voiced singer, Gene Clark.
- http://bbchron.blogspot.co.uk

Although the quality of some of the recordings are not so great, this is a fantastic [and rather rare] effort worthy of any Byrds/Gene Clark fan's possession that gives any 'completist' a wonderful addition to the large volume of official releases in his short lifetime.

Sadly, crack cocaine and alcohol got the better of him and he died aged 46 of 'natural causes' - due to a bleeding ulcer. When he died, he also had throat cancer.

The Byrd Who Flew Alone. Great dvd. If you have any interest in Gene Clark you need to get this.5GADbp

Thanks.

Not much psychedelic about crack cocaine and alcohol, is there?

Nah, a rather sad story really