UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Sunday spent with Chad and Jeremy

After coming back from seeing my Mum in hospital,i needed some good sounds to get my head out of the clouds,i looked and looked and decided on 3 Chad and Jeremy cds,"Distant Shores","Of Cabbages and Kings"and of course "The Ark",imo 3 very good albums from this under rated duo,they have been mentioned here a few times in the past,but i really wanted to give those 3 cds a mention again,out of the 3 "Distant Shores"was the last one i bought but was the first released out of the 3,the Sundazed cd of this fine album has 13 bonus tracks,some real treats to be had on this,not as consistently good as the 2 follow ups but still enough to be enjoyed,the track"Distant Shores" is just sublime....beautiful man,this album originally came out in August 1966 and IMO a step forward from previous efforts!!!But the next 2 cds are the must haves for any UK pop/psych enthusiast,the first of those"Of cabbages and Kings"was reissued by both Sundazed and Rev-0la on cd a few years apart,this album/cd is just magical and not a duffer in sight,i must mention the extra tracks to be had on the cd too are excellent and the whole cd is just one fab trip,i have saw "The Progress Suite"get a few negative comments but i just really like it,it was differrent for the time for a song to take up one whole side,though Love had done it on the Dacapo album,but with quality like"Rest in Peace","Gentle Cold of Dawn",Can i See You......i could mention all the tracks,there really aint nothing to complain about on this album which was originally released on September 1967.......how could they follow up with an album as good as this....well they did with "The Ark"another splendid album excepting the bloody damn awful "You need feet",anyway you have songs like"Paxton Quigleys had the course",The emancipation of Mr X",Pipe Dream"and many others to make up for that abberation!!!!Again this album was released on cd again by Sundazed and Rev-ola a few years apart,the Rev-ola cd has one extra bonus track compared to Sundazed cd and that is the excellent"Song of the love Child(Tobeys Song)"which originally featured on the soundtrack to "3 In the Attic"which itself is screaming for a full reissue as it features some good sitar laced jamming from what i can remember(been years since i heard or saw it)."The Ark"was released in August 1968 and would be the duos last full album,but what a way to end,3 marvellous albums in 2 years.I salute you Chad and Jeremy come in from the cold into the UK fire of pop/psych and a hat should be doffed to their producer Gary Usher who did a fine job tho all 3 cds state the fact that the albums were arranged and scored by Chad Stewart.Great stuff indeedy!!!!And has cheered me up no end,the clouds are srill hanging about but my heads out of them for the mo.Its great what good music can do!!!!

Re: A Sunday spent with Chad and Jeremy

Good luck to your Mum Stuart and i promise not to tell her about your "smoking" habits.

I still need to pick up the two before "Ark" so thanks for the summary,Stuart. Hope your Mum gets better soon. Best wishes,mate.

Many thanks Greg and Omar,my mums not been well for a while now,but i really do think music can soothe the rattled brain,hence as soon as i got in the house,music had to be put on....im still listening to music as i write,Sandy coasts,"Shipwreck"album cd is spinning now and its 2.30 am....i cant bloody well sleep,ggrrreee!!!Im sifting through my Dutch group cds,and Ohara Mazdas getting spun next,followed by Cargo!!!Shit man i have work in less than 5 hours.....talking of smoking habits Greg,i could do with a big spliff right now......and please dont tell my mum!!!!!!

yes stuart, hope you mum gets well soon. cabbages as you said is a great album.

Best wishes for your mum Stuart... it's not easy watching our parents get old.
We've had my wife's mother living with us for a year now as her health declines (COPD), as we'd rather take care of her then have her in a home.

It's funny your subject is titled "A Sunday spent with Chad and Jeremy"... I've spent countless Sunday afternoons listening to those very same albums myself. They just seem to fit together wonderfully.

Hope alls well Stuart.

Stuart Robertson
After coming back from seeing my Mum in hospital,i needed some good sounds to get my head out of the clouds,i looked and looked and decided on 3 Chad and Jeremy cds,"Distant Shores","Of Cabbages and Kings"and of course "The Ark",imo 3 very good albums from this under rated duo,they have been mentioned here a few times in the past,but i really wanted to give those 3 cds a mention again,out of the 3 "Distant Shores"was the last one i bought but was the first released out of the 3,the Sundazed cd of this fine album has 13 bonus tracks,some real treats to be had on this,not as consistently good as the 2 follow ups but still enough to be enjoyed,the track"Distant Shores" is just sublime....beautiful man,this album originally came out in August 1966 and IMO a step forward from previous efforts!!!But the next 2 cds are the must haves for any UK pop/psych enthusiast,the first of those"Of cabbages and Kings"was reissued by both Sundazed and Rev-0la on cd a few years apart,this album/cd is just magical and not a duffer in sight,i must mention the extra tracks to be had on the cd too are excellent and the whole cd is just one fab trip,i have saw "The Progress Suite"get a few negative comments but i just really like it,it was differrent for the time for a song to take up one whole side,though Love had done it on the Dacapo album,but with quality like"Rest in Peace","Gentle Cold of Dawn",Can i See You......i could mention all the tracks,there really aint nothing to complain about on this album which was originally released on September 1967.......how could they follow up with an album as good as this....well they did with "The Ark"another splendid album excepting the bloody damn awful "You need feet",anyway you have songs like"Paxton Quigleys had the course",The emancipation of Mr X",Pipe Dream"and many others to make up for that abberation!!!!Again this album was released on cd again by Sundazed and Rev-ola a few years apart,the Rev-ola cd has one extra bonus track compared to Sundazed cd and that is the excellent"Song of the love Child(Tobeys Song)"which originally featured on the soundtrack to "3 In the Attic"which itself is screaming for a full reissue as it features some good sitar laced jamming from what i can remember(been years since i heard or saw it)."The Ark"was released in August 1968 and would be the duos last full album,but what a way to end,3 marvellous albums in 2 years.I salute you Chad and Jeremy come in from the cold into the UK fire of pop/psych and a hat should be doffed to their producer Gary Usher who did a fine job tho all 3 cds state the fact that the albums were arranged and scored by Chad Stewart.Great stuff indeedy!!!!And has cheered me up no end,the clouds are srill hanging about but my heads out of them for the mo.Its great what good music can do!!!!