UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The End-Introspection-An Appreciation

Played this fab cd in work today(i work in a mailroom so we get away with it),and some of the guys i work with absolutely loved it,when i told them it was produced by Bill Wyman (him fae the Rolling stones? one of them chirped)they couldnt believe it,but i told them he wrote a couple of tracks for the Rolling Stones psych album "Their Majesties Request".(The Stones done a psych album?i get asked)....anyway...to cut a long boring story short,i just wanted to say this is quintessential English psychedelia of the top drawer,and possibly one of the best ever recorded,its just a shame it took so long for it to get a release at the time and being connected to a Stone seemed to be a hindrence at the end of the day for The End as it never saw the light of day till November 1969 though it was recorded if i remember right in 1967.Ive also heard the Tenth Planet albums,which i cant remember the titles off but the second collection of those releases was superb,with some brill psych to be had,can anyone tell me the titles of those vinyl only collections?Was the second one Retrospection??Anyway i just wanted to show my appreciation of an album that doesnt get many mentions these days,every track is excellent uk psych........just awesome and i should certainly play it more than i have done,i'll be honest and say its the first time i've listened to it all the way through for a long time,i had forgot how good it is,i will certainly be playing it more.......last year on this very forum a few of us listed our fave uk psych albums,ya know something i dont think The End got listed much,i certainly had forgot about it,but not again!!!!Finally i wanted to ask the good folks here what they thought of post End group Tucky Buzzards rare self titled debut album?I have the collection that Sanctuary released of Tucky Buzzards 3 albums over 2 cds,from what i remember the debut album had a couple of psych like tracks but the rest had veered away from the old hat(by this time)psych sound.I really need to give that cd a spin,not played it for years!!Sorry for rambling on but The End-Introspection deserves to be played and heard more!!!!!!

Re: The End-Introspection-An Appreciation

Just listened a few days ago Stuart.
One of the best albums of the period, no question.

great album

The Tenth Planet comp of their unreleased psych stuff is called Retrospection and is an excellent companion to the released LP. I'm lucky enough to have a red label mono original of Introspection which I would never part with.

I quite like Tucky Buzzard's first (US only?) LP and there is still a little of the Introspection psych sound left. The other offshoot was Colin Giffin and his CBS 45 "Changes in our time/ When I was so young" from '69 which is an orchestrated pop sike wonder.

Agree about "Introspection" and "Retrospection" though I think I like the latter even more. From what I've heard about "Introspection" it was recorded over a period of time, piecemeal, between 67 and 68.

After having 'Dreamworld' pop up on the iPod shuffle on the walk to work this past week, I decided to give Introspection a spin after a fairly long hiatus. And you guys are definitely bang on - what a fab little masterpiece this is! Hard to pick a bum track, hell I even enjoy 'Linen Draper', and 'Jacob's Bladder' always makes me chuckle...
I couldn't resist digging out the old CD-R copies of the Tenth Planet End Trilogy (In The Beginning / Retrospection / The Last Word). For me, The Last Word is my favourite of the three... the first three songs are absolute SikePop heaven - I especially love the Pretty Things-esque harmonies on 'Second Glance'! I have a question though for anyone having an original pressing of this limited edition record... on the CD-R I have, track 5 is a repeat of track 1 'Son Of Lightning', not 'So Free' as listed on the jacket. I found an MP3 download of the album online and it was the same...
And I gotta agree, the Colin Giffin single is a jewel.

For anyone who might be interested, I've just uploaded the three Tenth Planet LP's as lossless flac files for a friend (In The Beginning / Retrospection / The Last Word). Spread over two discs with the inclusion of the Colin Giffin single. They'll be available for one week at the following links:

http://we.tl/x78xLsghlq
http://we.tl/2tGEHekLhj

If this breaks any rules, I apologize...

About Tucky Buzzard, I quite like the "spanish only" LP, Coming On Again

parts 2&3 of those tenth planet albums are some of the best unreleased material I've ever heard.. they could have released another album as good or even better than Introspection

Hi Mark and everyone else. I'm the person who recently asked Mark to share these cdrs, and you very nicely said yes, so I'm very grateful, thank you Mark.

This music should definitely get re-released, and most of it's never been on cd, so c'mon one of you record labels!

Could someone please go through all these releases and what order or when they come from. Do any overlap? Is some vinyl only? Cheers.

Mark K's post a little further up this page gives the title of all 3.
The material kinda runs from early to later
They're all vinyl only.
1st one is their beat stuff and is ok but on 2 & 3 they really come into their own with the psych stuff.
One or two songs overlap - not many

I think one of them was released on cd but I could be wrong. It might have been Retrospection. I seem to remember seeing it in a music shop back in the day. Rateyourmusic.com is very good for checking out discographies - look under albums and compilations.

Many thanks for those files you uploaded Mark.

You're welcome guys, it's my pleasure.
I should have gone the extra mile and tagged everything proper, but...

So here's the track listing instead:

Disc 1
1. I Can't Get Any Joy
2. Hey Little Girl
3. I Want You Around
4. Lost Without You
5. Baby Stay Like You Are
6. It Won't Be Long
7. She Believed Me
8. I Got Wise
9. You're So Right
10. You Better Believe It, Baby
11. Please Do Something
12. Why
13. Yo-Yo
14. Searching For My Baby
15. Daddy Loves Baby
16. I Can't Believe It
17. We've Got It Made
18. Shades Of Orange
19. Loving, Sacred Loving
20. Building Up A Dream
21. Little Annie
22. Morning Dew
23. Tears Will Be The Only Answer
24. Today Tomorrow
tracks 1-18: In the Beginning TP025
tracks 19-24 Retrospection TP033

Disc 2
1. Lady Under The Lamp
2. Black Is Black
3. Mister Man
4. Call Me / Shades Of Orange
5. Mirror
6. We've Got It Made
7. Bypass The By Pass
8. Son Of Lightning
9. Second Glance
10. Mistress Bean
11. For Eleanor
12. North Thames Gas Board
13. Do Right Woman Do Right Man
14. Turn On Waterstone
15. Smartypants
16. My Friend
17. Changes In Our Time
18. When I Was So Young
tracks 1-7: Retrospection TP033
tracks 8-22: The Last Word TP047
tracks23/24: Colin Giffin single 1969

Thanks for the track listing Mark although I'm a little confused. The first disc seems to correspond but the second disc has 18 tracks but track listing suggests 24. Any ideas?