UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gerry Morris-Only the beginning(73)

After hearing the marvellous tracks by this gent on Rainbow Chasers,i eventually tracked down a legit cd of the album those songs came from,my verdict...a nice little pop album with many highlights,some of this reminds me of Tin Tins "Astral Taxi"album(is it just me that hears that?)Not all songs are up to the standard of "Peace on Earth"which has a yummy mellow string arrangement and the treated vocals on the lovely"PLenty Of Time",but there aint a shit track really,just some songs are better than others, tracks with a real mellow and yes a lysergic mouthwash added to procedings with the likes of "See through my Hand"being a top notch track,and"Only the Beginning"fitting that bill!! another group this album reminds me off are We All Together....i might be miles off with my dodgy ears,but some of this album has a Beatlesesque vibe to it...anyway "Universal Love"is another good track again with strings added to the mix but more upbeat than most on this album.A real delight aqnd a pleasure to have in my collection!!!Paul Martin you have this album,whats your views on it or anyone else who cares to give it a mention.

Re: Gerry Morris-Only the beginning(73)

Hi Stuart, yes I'd pretty much go along with your critique. I didn't know the album had a legit CD release, what label is it on? Morris also recorded a non-album single 'Come On Home' / 'Nothing To Declare'. I really like 'Sunlover' as well as it's almost proto glam (and was the 2nd single). I'll get a rip of the Tam White LP to you shortly, just got a lot of marking to do at the moment.

Paul

Paul the cd i bought was from Korea by a label called Big Pink,ive bought a few of those cds now and they all sound great with liners and sometimes lyrics too,their all mini album sleeves with original front and back covers and most at a decent price too ordered directly from a company called cathopcd,they have some nice singer songwriter stuff and other stuff like folk, and psych,at the moment they have the scarce album by Robin Lent which features in Galactic Ramble book,thats one ill be investigating once i have some spare dosh.Worth having a look at their site mate.

mmmh... I used to have the Gerry Morris album many years ago, paid just a few quids. But didn't like it and sold for not a great sum :( Still own the Robin Lent one though, nice one too. Didn't know about the Korean reissues, I'll check, thanks