UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Small Faces the Immediate Years - ultimate box set???

Just seen this flagged up by Spin CDs as due in December:

http://www.spincds.com/blog/2013/09/25/coming-soon-the-small-faces-%e2%80%93-here-comes-the-nice-immediate-years-box-set-1967-%e2%80%93-1969/

Not that this gives much info as to what's actually on the 4 x CDs, but it looks a nice package. No doubt it will contain everything people own more than once already. However, from what I have heard about it it is supposed to have a lot of unreleased (alternative?) cuts - hopefully the full gig from Newcastle City Hall that excerpts were take from for Autumn Stone??

I think also, these are from master tapes that were thought lost, but I may be wrong. It's an LP sized box and looks like a cool Christmas present (to yourself!!). if I am gonna by this stuff just one more time, as the SF are one of my fave bands ever, then it should be in such a OTT package - I'm in!!

PM

Re: Small Faces the Immediate Years - ultimate box set???

Track List on Mod Culture website:

http://www.modculture.co.uk/coming-soon-the-small-faces-here-comes-the-nice-immediate-years-box-set-1967-1969/

PM

So it looks like a bunch of A&B sides and alternative / out takes. At least it isn't repeddling the actual albums again. Not sure what the musical quality will be like, but a usful historical document / appendix for fans I suppose. Pity it's just the five songs from newcastke Cuity Hall, though maybe that's all they played or at least recorded. I'm a big fan of bells and whistles deluxe box sets and this looks like a nice one so something will have to move over on the LP shelf to shoehorn this one in!

PM

Hi Paul,

I also wondered about those 5 tracks which I have on an old double LP

http://www.discogs.com/Small-Faces-The-The-Collection/release/2916501

But there is only 5 live songs. Always loved their version of the Tim Hardin song "if I were a carpenter" .Wonder if they ever recorded it in the studio. A live cd would be having if there are any more tracks!

Steve Marriot is quoted in Immediate by Simon Spence (pg 143-4) as saying there were a number of live gigs recorded- wonder why none of this has come out- It may be that this is what is on the 2cd Autumn stone set Painter man has alluded to!

They may have been tapes he made himself of gigs rather than anything formally done by Immediate. Would be nice to hear a whole live gig. Still, I treasure the Colour Me Pop Ogdens album performance on DVD, blissfull.

PM

Hi Paul, I think it may have been Immediate because the quote is "We had though about a live album and wanted to see what it was like. I don't remember too well but I think they recorded a couple of sets- with and without the horn section, at a couple of giggs that were real scream machines". I really enjoyed the book by the way and I would recommend it to anyone interested in Immediate.

we must live in hope that they weill be revelaed at some stage then.

Paul