UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SRC - Cor, wot a mindblast!!

Just listening to the 1st SRC album...listened to it four times yesterday!
That's really not like me at all as I tend to listen to comps mostly or half an album each from a few different artists at a time, but this...!
I really overlooked this band for years as I initially thought too much piercing fuzz guitar solos, a quality very common to a lot of US Psych Rock that I find I can quickly overdose on. You might be thinking that's a strange thing for a psych fan to be saying but I do feel that way about some albums.
This is much different tho, the songs on this album are so well crafted, tuneful, so much melody, great harmonies, swirly organ and when the guitar does let rip...wow! what fire!
There's a real playfulness in the vocals too, much more anglophile than American sounding to my ears. It really reminds me of something I can't quite put my finger on...The Who? Nazz? Powder? All of them probably. I got this a few months ago and it just grows every time I listen, I'm starting to think it's one of the best albums I've ever heard.
You guys remember when we did the Desert Island 20 albums thing? Well if we were doing it now this would definitely be going in!
Last week I just picked up the BGO double disc with all the 3 albums on and kicked myself for not just buying that one first and saving some dosh.( it's a really good buy, 3 albums for about £7.50)
I wasn't expecting that the other 2 albums would be as good as the 1st but I must say 'Milestones' on first listen held up pretty well, still got to hear 'Travellers Tale' yet.
People throw the word 'Awesome' at anything and everything these days but for me this 1st SRC album truly is!
Anyone else had their head ripped off by this one?

Re: SRC - Cor, wot a mindblast!!

Painterman,gotta agree with you again,this album with damn fine artwork on the sleeve is stupendous,as you say big organ sound and ace guitar licks but at the same time very melodious(is that a word).From the very start with "Black Sheep"with its doomy organ work and a acid guitar to the last track"Interval"is a pure blast,"Milestones" to my ears is another fab album but "Travelers Tale"is nowhere near as good as "SRC",not played it in a hell of a long time but i do remember it veering more towards a prog sound.......i'll have to put it on the cd player to remind myself of it.Theres another few tracks before they shortened their name to SRC you may be interested in Painterman,they went by the moniker of The Scot Richard Case and feature on a Big Beat comp "The story of Michigans Legendary A-SQUARE Records",this collection features 5 tracks from them and sounding like anglophile mods,they cover The Pretty Things and The Who songs out of the 5 tracks,from what i remember they were pretty blistering too.Well worth looking out for is that collection!

Thanks for the headsup Stuart on the A square Michigan set.
As much as I love my little dallyings with pop, folk and prog, the words 'anglophile mods' always get me excited!
This whole set looks really cool and I've just now dutifully 'added to basket' on Amazon...fu**ing ADDICT! lol
 photo Screenshot2013-10-07at173214_zpsa3cf1040.png

I really liked this album more than expected, too, Painterman. Definitely a stronger Anglo influence than most other Detroit-area bands at the time,as you mentioned.

News just in...
I've listened to this SIX times since yesterday now, haven't done this with an album in years.

Yeh Painterman im a fellow addict,i just cant help myself when someone mentions a cd or album,i go straight to Amazon or other sites to get my next fix,its ruined me financially i must admit.....lol......im getting the jitters now as i've not ordered anything for a wee while.....next couple of cds i've preordered are Italian group Equipe 84-ID and The Hep Stars-Its been a long long time, both being released on RPM,and of course the love,poetry and revolution box set being released on Grapefruit!!
What started as a harmless hobby has turned into something more menacing and expensive,im terrible for compulsive buying and buying on the internet is just so easy,but i have taken a step back and im buying a lot less,plus where to store everything is becoming a problem too.
I've just listened to THe Scot Richard Case tracks on that comp,they rreally are blistering,theyre certainly garage like but with a Anglophile twist,more freakbeat i would say.Im sure you'll enjoy the collection Painterman!!

SRC - Serious Record Collectors..........

LOL,i like that Niallox,very sharp.I dont know about serious some folk would call it sad record collector....lol.