UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ramases--Space Hymns

What a fun little album. Space folk prog. Reminds me a bit of Klaatu, or a mellow Hawkwind. Of course, the musical backing by 10CC adds to the oddness. Anyone else a fan? Cool album cover, too. I guess that steeple/rocket ship is based on a real church.

Re: Ramases--Space Hymns

I don't mind this album compared to some other "space-rock" acts, though I must admit I prefer the pop-psych sides he did with wife Selket a few years prior, slightly kitschy though they may have been. It recently got reissued on yellow final if anyone is interested. I think Heyday stocks it.

I like like like!!!Always enjoyed Space Hymns,i think this is a cool 70s psych album,many highlights but the final track Journey to the Inside is a marvellous way out psych number with effects galore........other highs for me are Earth People,Quasar One and Life Child,great stuff!!Of couirse you have future 10CC members providing the backing which is good and you even have the sitar making an appearance.Along with marvellous artwork this is a shining example of 70s psych to my ears.I also purchased the second album Glass Top Coffin many years back and tho not as trippy or spacey as Space Hymns it too has some good moments and was released in 1975,4 years after Space Hymns,Ramases it seems came to a tragic end after it seems he committed suicide....he mustve been in despair to do that.Anyone who does that must be in despair,a feeling unfortunately that flutters in and out of my life.As they say for me anyway music soothes the tortured soul,this may seem sad but i would be a lost soul without music and the people i have got to know over the years on internetland particularly the folks i have got to know from taking part in RZ,thank you folks,the soul aint so tortured these days!!!

Music has magical qualities and can inspire and comfort. Sorry to hear of your difficulties Stuart but you seem to be managing it and always seem very chirpy here. I've had a beat up copy of Space Hymns for years and I don't think I've ever even played it, will have to dig it out - Journey sounds just my cup of tea.

Austin,get that record outta its sleeve and put it on mate,the final track on the album is awash with backward tapes effect to the hilt,i remember on the sadly missed SFA netzine this album got a rave review,which made me go and buy it,i wish i could remember which issue it was on,but i was glad i got it as i really enjoy it.Its been reissued on cd by Repertoire Records with top notch sound quality.Well worth giving up some time to listen.
Thank you Austin for your nice sentiments,im hoping those dark days are gone for now,but man its been a hellish road to go down.

Chin up Stuart,

things wouldn't be the same here without you!

Here listen to something nice and happy-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQYiXB9WncE

Agree!

Hi Joe,
You mention the cover and I did buy the original close enough to the era it was released and it was a beautiful thing folding out 4 times to reveal perhaps Salisbury Cathedral's spire rocketing off into space beautiful artwork (early Roger Dean) and then I put on the LP some good spacey stuff but too obscure and forgettable but hmmmm Pharaoh's Child floats through my mind

Hey Stuart, as Monty Python said, always look on the bright side of life. RZ wouldn't be the same without you.

Yeah, it's god a few tracks that meander a bit, but for an odd album it's pretty listenable. Catchier than "Glass Top Coffin," the follow-up. And more fun than Cecil McCartney's "Om", a similarly sincere attempt to spread the cosmic hippy vibe through music. As you say, the fold-out cover is amazing! It's kinda Klaatu meets Amon Düül meets early Bowie, and while it may not be a record I'll listen to every day, there's enough good stuff that I know I'll come back to it. The Donovan/Bee Gees mash-up "The Whole World Started Singing" is less enthralling than some of the other stuff. It has that Joan Baez sincerity, but it's not much of a song. I like the other songs pretty much all the way through. I love the weird chant songs.

Theres an interesting recentish interview with 'Selket' on You Tube. She is still refreshingly batty & life affirming