UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rock n Roll Medicine

To quote Lester Bangs: "But preferring Hank Williams or Charlie Parker or the Sun Sessions or the Velvet Underground to Squeeze and Rickie Lee Jones and the Go-Go's and the Psychedelic Furs is not nostalgia. It's good taste."

It's totally irrelevant as to how old the music is. All music is new when you're hearing it for the first time. I do think a big reason why those of on this forum spend so much of our time listening to older music is that we sense certain intrinsic qualities and values in that older music that seem to be lacking in so much contemporary music.

Yes I agree, though I'm always reminded of the guy with the immaculate 78rpm collection (the documentary they made about him was called 'Desparate Man Blues') of blues, old timey, jazz, etc but hated anything made after 1940. For him that was when music ended!I guess Robert Crumb might feel the same. Anyway, I think everyone has their own internal framework for likes/ dislikes. They might be open to listening to other stuff and finding they like it, often this is self-referred to as a 'guilty pleasure' even though to others there is not anything they can hear to be guilty about! I don't think this is nostalgia either. It's just how music speaks to or moves you.
Though I draw a line at Mr Blooby!

PM

I was born in 1954 so heard a lot of great music in the sixties as it was released. I don't think of it as nostalgia as I love hearing new music from that era. [if that makes sense].

Yes it does. I think that it's the internet age, we can all hear a great deal more 60s music now than anyone in the 60s could have a) because we can hear the 60s in retrospect as a whole or any given year we like, not as it happened in lived time and b) because there's just so much more of it than anyone ever knew and we have access to it, so old music sounds new.

PM