UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fave release / reissue of the year?

I know the year's not out yet but I think I'm aware of forthcoming releases for the next month so I'm going for...

REGGIE KING...Looking For A Dream...superb album this and I know a few on here have talked of this already but it really is good, Reggie was such a good songwriter, sensitive, deep & loving and believable with it. Great singing / harmonies & superb playing by all the musicians throughout. Def one of the best unreleased at the time albums out there.

LOS BRINCOS....Contrabando.....Ridiculously infectious beat / pop -psych album that just has one catchy hook laden song after another, listened to this last night and it seemed to go on for ever with fab little tunes. Loadsa tracks on this disc and nearly all of them are fantastic..a big fave with me.

Anyone else have any faves out this year?

Re: Fave release / reissue of the year?

Both of those are great. I think in terms of new or modern bands playing 60s style music, it would have to be the new Groovy Uncle album - 'One Vowel Away From The Truth' CD. When someone says of a mid 60s tuneful, tasteful pop song 'they don't write songs like that anymore' I shall just alert them to this album, as Glen Prangnell clearly does. Sample the MP3 files of it on Amazon UK. Delicious.

PM

Paul, is that the new one with the female singer(Sarah Chunk??)

Yes, Suzi Chunk, she and Glen share lead vocal duties and harmomise a lot as well, great pop! Seems only to be on CD this time round, the others were vinyl only!

Paul

cor yeah Reggie King one is really great

also the recently released Purple Barrier 7"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gUUSoTIGzw

also loving the edits of Open Mind and Dakotas classics that have slipped out under the radar you could say its a new artist release as well as an old artist release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g1pNrHcMHs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSxAwh3jnm4

Just waiting for the Open Mind / Dakotas soundhog edit 45 to arrive any day now,sounds great.

P

I guess LP&R set & JC anthology despite a lot of repetition of well used tracks over time would both fit into the best category of 2013. looks like labels have saved the best for last couple of months of year

Hello there

I thought it was time I dipped back into RZ as it's been a few years. Very happy to see it's still active after all this time.
This year's not been bad for reissues and comps now I think about it.

The LP&R box is pretty sweet – just enough 'missing' odds and ends on there to keep my ears smiling. And does the release of Tintern Abbey's 'Busy Bee' bode well for a full-blown release of all the TA demos? I hope so.

Grapefruit's John's Children comp and reissue of Elmer Gantry's first are both really nice and there's a Spark Records comp out in February which I'm looking forward to a lot. Sir Ching I anybody?

The Fourmyula set on RPM was really good. Tim Andrews less so Haven't heard the Hep Stars or Equipe 84 ones but the International wing of RPM seems to be going from strength to strength.

The Mixed Up Minds series has got stronger after the appalling second volume. Tons of curios there, which have opened up a whole world of great '70s singles to me.

Just got my review copy of the Small Faces box set and, while I've got 50% of the music on it several times over, it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up just looking at it.

Andy

Comp - Mixed Up Minds Vol.6

Reissue - Should have been 'Zombies - Odessey & Oracle' LP, but it looks like it's going to be next year after all the delays.

Box Set - Beach Boys Made In California

New album - Jacco Gardner - Cabinet Of Curiosities

EP - The Junipers' Euphonious Trolley EP Vol.1 (not that I'm biased or anything)

Fave gig - Temples @ Leicester O2 Academy 5th Oct

lots of albums out 2013 how about singles? I like bite it deep formats as well. Not been to many gigs 2013 but Temples very good but possibly obvious for many here?