UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poppsaga - Iceland's Pop Scene 1972-77 CD

VARIOUS ARTISTS / POPPSAGA - ICELAND'S POP SCENE 1972 - 77 CD

Due 24/02...For the first-time ever, beyond its rocky shores, Poppsaga reveals the music the Sugarcubes generation grew up with. This is the story of Iceland’s pop scene before the outside world discovered its unique twist on music.
From the pure, Beatle-esque pop of Pelican to the glam-rock of Change, from the disco-influenced Poker to the yearning intimacy of Jóhann G. Jóhannssonn, Poppsaga collects music which would have entranced the world if the dice had rolled differently.
In the 70s, Iceland wanted to be heard by the outside world: Pelican recorded in and toured America; Change recorded in London and had a British release; Jóhann G. Jóhannsson recorded at London’s legendary Olympic Studios with Madeline Bell and ex-Jeff Beck drummer Micky Waller. Finally, these Icelandic artists are receiving the exposure they deserved.
Poppsaga includes special liner notes by Icelandic music expert and host of the country’s television pop quiz Dr. Gunni – Gunnar Lárus Hjálmarsson – also the author of Stuð Vors lands, the definitive history of Iceland's music which, as Blue Eyed Pop, became the first book in English on the subject.
1. JENNY DARLING - Pelican 2. LAZY LONDON LADY - Change 3. SUPERMAN - Paradis 4. WOMAN OF OUR DAY - Svanfríður 5. DON’T TRY TO FOOL ME - Jóhann G. Jóhannsson 6. WHAT´S HIDDEN THERE - Svanfríður 7. YAKETTY YAK, SMACKETTY SMACK - Change 8. I NEED A WOMAN - Jóhann G. Jóhannsson 9. DAYS PASS ME BY - Celsius 10. BLUE JEAN QUEEN – Magnus Thor 11. POKER - DRIVING IN THE CITY - Poker 12. PARADÍS – RABBITS - Paradis 13. JOE THE MAD ROCKER - Jóhann G. Jóhannsson 14. MARY JANE – Magnus & Johann 15. GET ON TO A SURE THING - Poker 16. CANDY GIRL – The Pal Brothers 17. MY GLASSES - Pelican 18. TAKE ME TO THE SUN - Poker 19. POKER - Celsius

PM

Was there not a 60s scene in iceland anyone??

Re: Poppsaga - Iceland's Pop Scene 1972-77 CD

That's a good question, Paul. One would think the great Thor's Hammer would have inspired the young 'uns to form bands during the 60's.

are Trubot from Iceland?

Finland I think Phil and they're 70s as well aren't they? Not sure if this Iceland set is about ex-pat bands who have Iceland in common but who recorded in other countries or if it's actually about a music scene in iceland itself.

PM

Trubrot = post-Thor´s Hammer.

Svanfridur's-Who's Hidden There is a great album. Also recorded in London, in 1972.

I see Icecross, a 70s heavy Icelandic band are getting their album reissued shortly as well. The 60s in Iceland till seems a void. Were Thor's Hammer the only band in Iceland at the time, to record at least??

PM

Odemenn 1970

Trubrot 1969

Manar 1971

Rio Trijo 1971 folk though

Wasn't Curved Air singer from Iceland?

An interesting one off Icelandic album from !974 is Geysir-Hljomsveitin. It's described as folk/acid/psych and sounds earlier than '74. The band were a mix of Americans and Icelandics? and the tracks I've heard were sung in English. Interesting, if this is your thing.

Interesting that no-one apart from Thor's Hammer seems to have owned an electric guitar in Iceland before 1971 judging from known Icelandic bands so far! I'd quite like to get hold of the recently published book (in English) on Iceland's rock bands mentioned in the CD promo blurb. I expect there will be more info in that.
PM