UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Queen Victoria Comps / SFA / Hello Again

Hello all. It's been quite some time since I've posted or even visited RZ. I guess I just sort of lost my way for a while there and became consumed with other things - some pleasant and some not so, to say the least. If I'm not mistaken, I believe I used to go by the username Gandalf? And I remember sharing music with a few of you lovely regulars.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've been doing a bit of lurking here and have been enjoying reading your posts. Hopefully I can stick around for a bit.

I was just wondering about the bootleg(I believe) label Queen Victoria Records who put out a few compilation LPs back around 2004/2005 limited to 400 copies each. These included Spacegirl And The Starman - Eccentric British Soundwaves 1970-1973, Here Lies Ebeneezer Goode - British Psychedelia: The Sounds That Time Forgot 1970-1974 and Victoria Phantasia - Eccentric British Sounds From The Psychedelic Era. There was another one that seemed strangely similar which was Papermen Fly In The Sky - Altered States Of Sound From The Real British Pop Movement 1966-1970 but this one said it was put out by Paper Records.

Does Anyone know who were behind Queen Victoria Records and if they have ever released anymore of these styled comp LPs? I absolutely loved these as they were a departure from the usual psych comps up to that time - focusing on the early 70's where the music was a bit darker and heavier with some elements of prog and freak rock creeping in. I discovered some great bands and songs from those comps - Wolfrilla - Come Tomorrow, Strange Fox - Ask Me All, Rainbow Family - Travellin' Lady, Paul St. John - Flying Saucers Have Landed, The Laurels - The Devil's Well, The Peddlers - It's So Easy, Skin Alley - Tell Me, Rare Bird - Hammerhead to name just a few.

I would love it if they or someone would release more comp LPs in this style and time period. Maybe QVR did? If anyone can be of any help I would greatly appreciate it. While I don't mind CD or digital comps at all, I do, for some reason, prefer to purchase these on vinyl. I guess it's just the vinyl junkie in me.

One other thing. I was also a huge fan of the SFA zine that was posted on Marmalade Skies years ago. Has anyone ever reposted those issue anywhere? I was lucky enough to download the source HTML for every issue on to my hard drive all those years ago so I can access them locally from my computer but I was just curious if they have been posted online anywhere else? I always thought it would be incredibly cool if some publisher made a hardcover coffee table book compiling every issue with a beautiful layout, mind bending artwork and hi res photos both rare and known. Just a dream I've had for a while.

Phew! I was a ramblin' there wasn't I? Sorry about that. From now on I'll try to be short and sweet. It's nice to see some names that I still recognize here on the forum. Thanks for keeping this whole thing going.

All the best,
Richard Vaughan

Re: Queen Victoria Comps / SFA / Hello Again

Hello Richard and nice to see you back.
The Mixed UP Minds series and the later Rubble comps are early 70s. Not sure if they are on vinyl though.
A couple of great 70s tracks off the top of my head...
Jigsaw-Seven Fishes
Writing On The Wall-Buffalo
Influenza-Astral Plane
Tac Poem System-Asmodei
Kings Road-Mister Ziman

Hello Richard and a very nice welcome back to the land of RZ,i love it when old faces reappear,(anyone ever know what happened to Walt Sindewald from the States)as for the vinyl comps you mentioned,unfortunately i cant help with more info on those,as ive not bought vinyl for a very very very long time!!But i do remember those comps when they came out,if i remember didnt SFA review a few of those??As for SFA,i am lucky enough to have every issue in paper format all filed up and put away in folders,and i must admit to getting those from the shelves and going over old issues,when SFA stopped they were reviewing a fair bit of 70s pop and psych in their uk A-Z of things pop and psych,which im sure have been included on certain comps like Mixed up Minds ,Piccadilly Sunshine and my fave of the lot Electric ASylum,i have bought Incredible Hog,Jerusalem and Iron Maiden(no not them) cds after hearing tracks by them on this series this to me has been a more consistent comp than all others.I wish someone would put together another volume!!!!!Anyway Richard,you write away my man and dont worry if you think youve went on too long,i waffle all the time and no-one seems to take umbridge with it.

NP.THE MATADORS-GET DOWN FROM THE TREE CD

Great idea there Richard about an SFA book, I'd certainly buy it.
It's a shame that only half a dozen of those issues can still be accessed.
They are so much fun to read and crammed full of very clever, colourful and enthusiastic pop psych shenanigans

I am sure a lot of those British tracks on the Queen Victoria etc comps found their way on to some of the Pyschic Circle CD comps like 'Lovin' Fire', 'A Visit To The Spaceship Factory' etc.

The SFA issues (and the lone 'Laura's Garden' issue) would be great as a limited ed collected volume. Someone like Richard Morton Jack (Galactic Ramble, Flashback mag etc) might be worth contacting about it if members of the former SFA collective were agreeable to republication? It's very interesting how SFA as a virtual 'zine is still actively sought after in hard copy. I quite often get people emailing me about it. I am sure a limited run of a modestly produced volume would sell out. It's amazing what you can do with an Apple Mac and a bit of software these days!

PM

I just started dipping in again after some time. Nice to know I'm not the only one who "lost my way".

Andy

Thanks for all of the welcome backs.

Mr. Wisdom, thank you for the recommendations, those are all new tracks to my ears which makes me happy. It's been a while since I've stumbled on to something new.

Stuart, you and a few others are the names that I remember the most from way back. You've shared a lot of music with me which I really must thank you for again my friend. I think I may have sent you a CDR or two as well? At least I hope I did.

Painterman and Paul, yes SFA was a fun and informative read and deserves to be resurrected. I think what I miss most were the 'Out In The Cold' articles and the 'SFA Discography' section. I've discovered so many great albums and tracks from that bit of reading. One song that has become an all time favorite of mine I discovered from the SFA Discography section. It's the song Marie Song by Papoose. A wonderfully moody French psych/prog pop song circa 1972 with phased cymbal crashes and an eerie recorder melody throughout. I'm sure most of you know this song and how beautiful it is. I'm still discovering new finds from those old SFA's!

Andy, welcome back friend.

I agree. I found a nice picture sleeve Papoose 45 based on that recommendation. A nice bit of seventies psych. If you like that, you'll also like "Sugar Suzy" by Ginger Ale,

http://left-and-to-the-back.blogspot.com/2011/10/ginger-ale-sugar-suzy-scoobidad.html