UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
contemporary wyrd folk

Not a genre I have any real experience of, though just having got very much back into Mellow Candle, Comus, Trees , Jade etc. I'm starting to get interested.

The theme song to CBBC (kids) drama series Wolfblood, peaked my interest. The song is called 'A Promise I Have To Keep' I think, but can't find out who it's by or if it's on a CD / LP anywhere. You can here it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi83hnObyJ8

Also discovered a band called Magicfolk who have made two albums. Their 'Persephone' is beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwyotSYVLbM

PM

Re: contemporary wyrd folk

try LISA KNAPP albums paul she sang the theme song it seems
try this on you tube stunning'I Wish My Love Was a Cherry' Lisa Knapp
her two albums are
UNDAUNTING
HIDDEN SEAM[2013]
some happy hunting grounds for this genre are
HAND/EYE
SECRET/EYE
both have lotsa vinyl and such like very friendly folk run them as well
also came across a british guy called Tony Wakeford his stuff sounds fascinating

Thanks very much Phil, I'll look into all of those

paul

Back in the early netday Wallace was posting regularly to Mark's Wyrdfolk site.

A fav from back then was SPECTRAL LIGHT MOONSHINE FIREFLY SNAKEOIL JAMBORY "SCARECROW STUFFING" by the grandfather of Wyrdfolk , Timothy Renner.

Sort of slightly askew Appalachian hillbilly-Wickerman.

I second Hand/Eye

yep wallace great music to be had there Timothy Renner very talented guy

Not sure how wyrd it is, and it's often more pop than folk, but the debut album from Norwegian female duo Mona & Maria is sublime - check it out!

Thanks for those recomendations, I'll check 'em all out. Lovely Norwegian stuff. I read the interview in Shindig with Mona and Maria, very nice.

P

You could try Espers, Fresh Maggots, C.O.B.
Not particularly new but certainly of a similar ilk

I've always loved the L.A. based band Winter Flowers. Unfortunately, I believe they are no longer together but they were a beautifully strange and gentle folk group that looked and sounded like they belonged in the late 60's and early 70's. My band did a short west coast tour with them around 2005 and night after night I would be captivated by their music and their charisma.

The core group was Gavin Toler, Astrid Quay and Christof Certik and they would sometimes be joined by a keyboardist and a stand up bass player. In addition to the acoustic guitars they would also incorporate mandolin, recorder/woodwinds, piano, organ, glockenspiel, Mellotron and harpsichord. I know they released a full length CD on the Attack 9 label in 2006 and they also released a 4 song split vinyl 12" picture disc on the Manimal Vinyl label in 2007. I have everything they released as well as some earlier recordings that they self released on CDR before their debut full length. All of it is wonderfully melodic, well crafted wyrd, psychedelic folk with 3 part harmonies that, I think, a lot of RZ'ers would enjoy.

I found a video for their song Strawberry Morning on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko9nxdLgdxc

In a related story, guitarist/multi instrumentalist for Winter Flowers, Christof Certik, was the guitarist in Peter Daltrey's backing band for his recent string of US tour dates. Another L.A. based wyrd folkie and friend of Christof's, Nick Castro(Nick Castro & The Young Elders) was also a part of Peter Daltrey's band playing Mellotron and other keys. I was lucky enough to see them all play in Palm Springs and the band sounded spot on with those Kaleidoscope and Fairfield Parlour albums. It was one of the most memorable and moving musical experiences I've ever had.

BTW, do any of you RZ'ers do any online mp3 sharing? I could possibly share with you some of the Winter Flowers music if anyone is interested. Just curious.