UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Elusive LPs - Once Upon A Twilight

I'v always had a short list of LPs that I was having a hard time tracking down. Mostly because there was no know reissue of that certain album ever released and the few times the originals would pop up on ebay they would always be a bit out of my price range.

Recently I was lucky enough to score 3 of my elusive records. I found a fairly cheap reissue of Made In Japan by The Flower Travelling Band on Phoenix. I love that record but unfortunately the LP reissue sounds a bit flat/weak compared to my CD mix. I also scored an original Tony Hazzard Sings Tony Hazzard LP, for cheap too I might add! I just had to have Fade Away Maureen on vinyl. And lastly, I was overjoyed when I found out Yes It Is by Rockin' Horse was FINALLY recently reissued on vinyl on the Sing Sing label! I couldn't believe it, I had been looking for that one for ages. Of course I snatched it up right away.

Ok, getting to my question. One other long searched for reissue LP of mine(I could never afford an original) has been The Twilights - Once Upon A Twilight album. Does anyone know if there has ever been a reissue LP released of this album or if there are any rumors of a possible future release? I just can't believe no vinyl reissue has ever happen for such a wonderful pop psych album. Not even a bootleg?! There are so many possibilities for such a project. There could even be great 2LP compilation - "The Twilights Complete Psychedelic Recordings" including Comin' On Down, Time and Motion Study Man, The Way They Play, Lotus, etc. There may be other B sides I don't know of!

The closest thing I have to this is a comp LP on Raven called The Way They Played.

Any other RZ'ers have any elusive LPs or albums that you've been searching for what seems like forever?

Alright then, sorry for rambling again. Thanks everyone!

Re: Elusive LPs - Once Upon A Twilight

I'm positive it's only ever been reissued on cd, with one mono and one stereo disc making it a 2cd package.

Hello Richard.
Do you have the cd?
I know it's one of those that's around £25 to buy when it shows up, at least around these parts anyway.
If you're in the UK I could send you a cdr copy of mine if you like or if you're in far off lands I could mail you an mp3

That mono Tomorrow lp that just went for $650 on eBay is one I'd like for sure. It's the only way to hear the mono. But it sailed into the price stratosphere, or stratosphear if you prefer that spelling.
I think a vinyl reissue of the Twilights album would be great. There are two versions of "The Way they Played" on vinyl. One is on EMI and only has about fourteen songs. The other looks very similar (same cover, but black and white back photo instead of color). That version is on Raven and has 22 songs and is the best collection I've seen of Twilights on vinyl. It has a few songs from Once Upon A Twilight and I play it a lot.
Fortunately, I eventually got a copy of "Once Upon A Twilight" on vinyl. I also have two of the Tony Hazzard sings Tony Hazzard. I was only going to get one, but I ended up finding one for $14, so I couldn't really resist.
I got a copy of "Yes It Is" several years ago by Rockin' Horse, and along those lines I have the jimmy Campbell solo album, which I only saw on Ebay once. It's an odd album, basically demos with some overdubs. It's the one where he's holding a mask of his own face over an empty space. I was glad to see that the Rockin' Horse got an affordable reissue finally.
The album I'd really like to see would be a vinyl collection of The Mirage. There are two CDs out but no vinyl unless you count the singles that pop up here and there on Rubble collections, etc.
Someone MUST reissue "Recital" by Honeybus. That would be a very cool reissue indeed.

Hey Joe. Yeah, I was lucky enough to find the Raven 22 track, 1989 Twilights comp, on orange vinyl no less! Yeah, it's got a nice chunk of their pop psych stuff on there including my 2 favorite songs of theirs Paternoster Row and Comin' On Down. It would just be very cool to have a official vinyl reissue with the pop up inner gatefold and maybe some bonus tracks. Oh well, I'll keep dreaming.

Yeah, a Mirage LP reissue would be fantastic!. I have the You Can't Be Serious CD as well as the Circus Days 3 LP which has a few tracks of theirs including their take on Tomorrow Never Knows which I love. I also have the Mystery Lady / Chicago Cottage Page One 45 that I got for a couple bucks at a record fair. It's probably their least sought after release although Chicago Cottage is pretty cool.

Honeybus would be another great reissue.

Hi Painterman. Thanks so much for the offer but, yes, I do have an mp3 version of the album. However, I think it's just in stereo. Is the mono version noticeably better?

The mono version of Tomorrow is different in parts. The major difference I remember is the song "Auntie Mary's Dress Shop" where the harpsichord continues throughout the song instead of just the little intro. But there are some other minor things as well. I wrote a mono/stereo article for SFA a long time ago and I probably mentioned it in that, unless I heard the mono after I wrote the article.
Anyway, I was kind of relieved that the album went into fantasy land price-wise on eBay, so I don't have to feel bad about not bidding. There was no way I was going to lay down that chunk of change for the mono, even though it is nice. I'm glad I have it on mp3.

I must say ive not bought a piece of vinyl for decades,but the cd Once Upon a Twilight is indeed itself a thing of beauty,the usual good job by Aztec Music,it has gatefold sleeve and a really sumptious booklet and you get stereo and Mono versions on a single cd not a double i must say,the sound is as good as you can get,well recommended,its a shame we cant cut out the awful cocky song.....what were they thinking adding that to an otherwise perfect pop/psych album??I just wanted to add a bit about the cd version of this album as i know im not the only one here who doesnt buy vinyl,i cant believe this cd was released in 2006.....gulp.......8 years ago!!!!!In fact i think Aztec Music do some of the best reissues available out there in cd land,all from Australia and NZ,a great way to treat your musical heritage!!!!Well worth having a look at their website!!!!

Sorry i just wanted to add that Terry Britten actually has 2 of his songs recorded by Cliff Richard on his late 60s album "Sincerely"and they are rather good too,they are"Always" and "Take Action",just a wee bit of useless info for you all.So it just shows you good songwriters can turn up anywhere and in the least expected places.I can imagine this cd maybe of interest to some here not just for the Terry Britten tracks but also the extra tracks with Hank Marvin"The Joy of Living"and"Throw Down a Line",probably the freakiest Cliff got!!!

Can anyone comment on the two Quartet singles? They were a short-lived Terry Britten project. Any good?

I have one called 'Joseph' by Quartet on Decca somewhere which is pretty good from what I remember. Wasn't aware it was Terry Britten. I love the B side os his 2000 weeks 45 'Bargain Day'. Was released in the UK though I have never seen a stock copy of it and demos are quite rare.

I have an Australian stock copy of 'Bargain Day', but only seen demos of the British release of it. 'Joseph' by Quartet can be heard on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6q1JYUL7Cc

Sort of Crosby, Stills & Nash sounding. OK, but I prefer Bargain Day / 2000 Weeks.

PM

Thanks Paul! I couldn't find anything on Youtube, so that was helpful. I have the 2,000 Weeks single but none of those Quartet singles. It has some nice guitar and like Bargain Day seems to continue with the "Hallelujah" theme lyrically. Terry Britten is quite a guitarist. Interesting to hear.

I was offered a UK stock copy of Bargain Day a few years back....I was tempted but the seller also had a stock Australian copy that was considerably cheaper so I opted for that instead. I've never seen a UK stock copy since. Love both sides of the single, it's a classic.

I'd love a vinyl copy of "Once Upon A Twilight:....I'm sure there'd be a lot of interest if somebody issued it.

Blimey i would fancy trying to reproduce the vinyl cover, possibly putting folks off trying to re issue it?. I tired to get some cd copies to stock off aztec but no reply

I never got the Quartet single, but after years of searching I managed to get MP3 s of their songs. I have to say that none of them come close to the heights of the Bargain Day /2000 Weeks single. However I just refreshed my memory of them: 4 Songs. Two rockier, and two quieter. Will My Lady come seems to draw from a variety of sources, and very much the jazziest. Now is the strongest melodically speaking. A simple acoustic song that transforms into string driven pop. Mama where did you fall is quartet rocking out with a combination of acoustic picking and electric rock chords. A bit like Joseph but but not half as interesting to my ears.

The Twilights CD with both Stereo and mono versions is a great thing to get. As Joe says there are differences between the two, most songs are not a lot different in either version. I can't locate it so I cannot illuminate you further at this point. And the cover is a thing of beauty, even on my tattered copy.

Interesting review about those singles. I just got the "Now" single and I agree it's a nice melodic song with that Terry Britten style. I think it would fit in perfectly on a Fading Yellow comp. a nice Twilights sound to that one. Too bad that unreleased Quartet album I've read about never saw the light of day.