UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LEFT BANKE

just chillin to THERES GONNA BE A STORM double cd by this great band lots of orchestration on top of pop vibes.
i did find their version of WALK AWAY RENEE a tad weak
any fans in these hallowed halls?

Re: LEFT BANKE

Yes, I'm a fan Philster. Walk Away Rene is actually their song. Michael Brown was their main writer. He wrote this when he was about 16. A couple of other favourites of theirs for me are I Haven't Got The Nerve, Desiree and Pretty Ballerina.

Phil and Greig,im another fan of this group and the songwriting of Michael Brown who had a lot to do with the Montage album too in particular,which i recommend a listen,i also have the Left Banke compilation you mention Phil,but i must recommend the 2 Left Banke cds issued by Sundazed of the 2 albums as sound quality is far better than the cd comp Phil.Love the music this group made!!!!

phil. they were a great group. pretty ballerina is a great favourite of mine.

Back in 1966 Left Banke's original version of 'Walk Away Renee' wasn't a hit in the UK. A few months later, The Truth did a very creditable cover version on Decca. But despite plenty of airplay on the pirate radio and even a TOTP appearance, it didn't chart until The Four Tops recorded it about a year later.

im afraid the Four Tops cover version rules for me

To be fair, that's true of other Four Tops covers like If I Were A Carpenter and the Moody Blues song Simple Game. Levi Stubbs had one of the all-time great voices.

Too is a good CD.