UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jade-Fly on Strangewings-the deluxe edition

Been listening to this folk rock gem this morning,i only have the single cd edition,i was wondering what are the tracks like on the deluxe edition on cd 2 of unreleased material released by Sunbeam Records?I also have a cd by Dave Waites and Marianne Segal titled "Paper Flowers"released by the short lived Lightning Tree label,this is a rather good cd to have too but musically sparser on most tracks from what i remember,are there any crossovers with material on cd2 of the double cd set??

Anyone else like this trios album??

Re: Jade-Fly on Strangewings-the deluxe edition

Hi Stuart, oddly enough I have just this week received two different copies of the Jade album. Both are mini LP Cds in gatefold sleeves. The first is Japanese on the Strange Days label from 2007 which I bought second hand. It has 4 bonus tracks and duplicates the orignal LP cover art and has great sound.

The second version is from South Korea on the Media Arts label (limited edition of 300). This is also a mini LP CD with a gatefold sleeve, but in much thicker card than the Japanese edition(like an old pasteboard LP sleeve). This has 7 bonus tracks (including the 4 that are on the Japanese edition). I have not played this edition yet.

Additionally, the Korean edition has a liner note insert (if you have a magnifying glass to read it with!) and two great fold out posters; one of the LP sleeve design and one which is similar but advertising the album (maybe a repro of 1970 ad?).

I saw the Sunbeam edition but I try and avoid plastic jewel cases if I can where there's an option. Plus I felt that a lot of the second disc might well be Marianne Segall and an acoustic guitar rather than full band numbers, so like you Stuart, I'd be interested to know what's actually on that second Sunbeam edition disc.

I love the Jade album, i don't think it's universally even but I'd say over 2/3 of it is really great and I love Marianne's voice. I had a rip of the Paper Flowers Cd. I like the first track or two where there's more weight to the songs, but I was not really bothered about the the rest which is all solo vocal / acoustic guitar from Marianne. Much as I love her voice, the songs don't do much for me.

Paul

I got in touch with Marianne in the nineties, as I had found an original press of the Jade album and a contact phone on Folk Roots magazine! When I started my Night Wings label, I got in touch again but Delerium deal had been just signed (and the same happened with Vashti Bunyan!!) Not much luck for me, anyway I've always like her album and also got the Sunbeam double CD. The second disc has nothing to do with the Dave & Marianne CD, apart from the 4 bonus tracks already on the fist cd pressing, the other tracks come from an abandoned Marianne's solo lp and a few other 1974/75 demos. All of them are "band" effort, no solo acoustic, mostly originals, just only a couple of covers. Good quality stuff in my opinion, even if not so "evocative" like the Jade album

Hi Gian,thanks for the feedback on that second disc,Gian were you the one behind the release of the rather good Tim Hollier compilation,if you were i just wanted to say i throroughly enjoyed it,i had never heard of Tim Hollier before i picked that cd compilation up,i wanted to ask did you ever release the actual albums "Message to a Harlequin" and"Tim Hollier"albums onto cd??Gian could you give a list of any other releases Night Wings released?Be real interested in what else was released/Many thanks,Stuart

Thanks for the info Gian, glad to hear from you. I really like the Nightwings Tim Hollier album as well.

best wishes
Paul

Thanks Paul, it was fun while it lasted and I have very good memories of the artists I personally met, especially Tony Durant, Tim Hollier, Chris Mayfield, and Rick Sharpe .. all great guys