UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what's your music spend - dare you add it up??

I was just looking at my CD shelves and wondered what it all cost me. I find I have spent at least £1,220 just on Past & Present / Particles shell cased CDs and card sleeved box sets alone over the last 10-12 years! Not that I regret a penny of it, but of ocurse when you buy them one or two at a time, you don't really think about it, each one's an anticipated present to yourself, but arrayed across several CD shelves,it's amazing to realise how much they cummitively cost. I wonder If I had been offered all those CDs in one batch for the same price (assuming I had the money) would I have bought them all in one go?

I don't think I want to add any of the others up, especially the Jap mini LP CDs or rare vinyl etc, I could maybe have paid the mortage off! But where's the fun it that!

Anyone else looking at their kids univeristy fees or first home deposit on their music shelves??!!

PM

Re: what's your music spend - dare you add it up??

Absolutely Paul. I often think of the time and $ I've put into my music collection. Fortunately, I'm not that enthusiastic about getting a mortgage (I pay rent), and don't have kids in college. I do like to travel, and sometimes I think that a clutch of my 45's could help pay for a nice trip. I think vinyl has cost me more than CDs, especially when I find some rare 7" record I really have to have. Oh well, at least it isn't hurting my liver or lungs, etc.

I used to spend a lot more, maybe £1500 a month at the peak, but since getting a mortgage and a little hungry mouth to feed I spend about £200-300 a month. I also sell records and spend that immediately on more records. I occasionally get pangs of Peter Green type guilt at the decadence of it. I don't buy expensive clothes or anything, so pretty much all my disposable income goes on original vinyl. If I sold my collection I could probably pay the mortgage off, but I don't tell my girlfriend that.

Lately,since getting a part mortgage and little in the way of pay rises over the last five years, I've had to tone it down but it used to be around £100-300 a month. I imagine my vinyl alone could pay many bills for the next few years if I were so inclined.

In answer to your question Paul, it's a resounding "No".
But it's good to see I'm not alone... (and that I'm in good company)

Good question Paul, and like many of the above I don't dare.

Half the reason for this as I have spent it mainly on CDs and the resale value of them would be rather less than cost in most cases. Not a great financial investment at all but it bought great enjoyment. My much smaller collection of vinyl would be worth more if we just looked at it in monetary terms.

have spent very lttle in the last 7 years because of financial matters but for 10 years before that I was spending maybe a hundred a month. And enjoying every minute too.

Daniel

OOps I forgot to add the second part. Yes in a way. I actually am considering moving and selling some of it just to make life easier, the ones I don't listen to- but when it comes down to it...could I?