UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Dream ( n.l )

Due 12/05...Following the 2013 vinyl release, this mind blowing collection of Dutch psychedelia now also appears on CD, with extra tracks!

The Dutch underground rock-scene of the late '60s-early '70s is laden with lost and forgotten treasures, but the music of the Dream -and their earlier incarnation Mothers Love- is among the most precious of these glimmering artifacts.

Perhaps because The Dream released only three singles in their heyday, their music has not yet received the acclaim it deserves.

This is rectified by the release of 'Rebellion', a comprehensive anthology of rare and previously unreleased recordings by The Dream and Mothers Love.

22 tracks, remastered from the original tapes, including all six of The Dream's single sides, featuring the breathtaking psychedelic monster 'The Doting King' and the Hammond-powered rocker 'Rebellion (Can I Ask You One More Question)'.

These acclaimed tracks are joined by the cream of Mothers Love output, plus twelve exceptional unissued numbers recorded between 1967 and 1971.

The CD booklet features rare photos and full liner notes (by Ugly Things' Mike Stax) based on an interview with band leader Floris Kolvenbach.

TRACKS: 1. Highway To Heaven 3:24 2. Mad Man's Worries 3:50 3. I Feel Good Warmth 2:51 4. I Gotta Move 1:25 5. The Doting King 2:43 6. Expert Jump Out 2:12 7. Rebellion (Can I Ask You One More Question) 2:37 8. The Monarchy 5:01 9. Can You Hear Me Howlin 3:33 10. Still Alive 1:10 - single version 11. Talesborough Garden 3:09 12. New Sensations 2:25 13. Sleeping Rose 3:43 14. Park Lane 1:31 15. Four Phone-calls 3:17 16. Mr V. 3:25 17. We'll Be Back Yesterday Morning 2:30 18. Met A Girl Today 3:27 19. Open The Gates 5:40 20. The Diamond And The Fool 6:12 21. Dino 3:10 22. Still Alive 1:39

Re: The Dream ( n.l )

Hello Painterman,i am really looking forward to getting this cd,as from what i've heard this group recorded some fab psych,and with all pseudonym releases will be expertly put together with great sound and a fab booklet to match.Thanks for bringing this to our attention!!!!

Guessing they'll be doing Mayfly on CD at the same time, then.

Sound clips now on Amazon

Thanks for the info Painterman. I guess most people here would know their track The Doting King-top notch psych. Hope some of the unknown stuff is just as good.

Recent article/interview in Ugly Things was short, but interesting.

I got this cd and on first listen its a bit of a mixed bag to my ears,yeh theres some good psych on here but the later stuff recorded at the BBC studios(70-71) just didnt do much for me,as with all Pseudonym Records releases,its a splendid package with liners and the best quality sound that they could source.............this could be a grower......so i'll listen again over the weekend.But i do wish there couldve been more songs like "The Doting King"&"The Monarchy"which i instantly got a kick from.The 5 tracks by pre Dream outfit Mother's Love,are pretty good too i must add.The booklet covers their whole story with some period photos too.Next cd im going to listen to is The Outsiders triple cd "Everything on Earth",im really looking forward to hearing this whole set particularly the disc with post Outsiders group Tax Free on as i have their album and i thoroughly enjoyed its mellowness of the sounds contained on said album.Anyone else get the Rebellion cd from The Dream and the new triple Outsiders set??What ya think of both or either?

It's on my wish list and I'm looking forward to hearing it Stuart but I've cleared out so much of my savings on music that for the first time in ages I'm thinking If I don't cool it for now I could be in serious difficulty when the bills come in next month!!

Outsiders I'm giving a miss, I'm sure there's a few extras on there but I'm not buying all their stuff over again..I will, however be going for the 4 disc set by the Tee Set on Pseudonym as I don't have any of their stuff and it's reasonably priced but for some reason Amazon are saying the release date is not until November now....??!!

Hi Painterman,i can totally relate to the spending too much on music syndrome.....its so easy to get caught up in a buying frenzy,which if i must be honest i have done many times,and its so easy buying on the internet....i now have a allocated sum every month to spend on music...some months i cant buy any music at all,but its so bloody hard not to buy and i have stupidly left myself short on other things because of buying stuff on many occassions......anyway yes the Tee Set box set ive had pre ordered for ages and as you say Amazon has release date as November.....i may have a scan about on other sites and see if that is indeed the release date.I have listened to The Dream cd again,and i enjoyed it a bit more,but i still cant get into the later stuff recorded at the BBC,it sorta reminds me of The Band in sound,but there are some great things happening musically wise for psych buffs before that....so i am still glad i got this.And indeed its a grower!!!!
Well Painterman enjoy the rest of the weekend,speak soon.

I don't know why anyone would want stuff by the Tee Set, they were bloody terrible.

I have the Tee Set 2 cd (sorta nuggets style package) She Likes Weeds and although I wouldn't be as strongly against it as Austin its hardly the best thing I've ever heard. I got the Zipps cd and am listening to it at the moment so will let ye know. Sometimes I think the Dutch scene can be a tad over hyped.