UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Los Pic Nic

First heard Pic Nic 10 or so years ago on the very wonderful 'Spinning Wheel' Vol 2 CDR comp that came with one of the most beautiful little pieces of artwork ever to grace a CD.
They always stuck in my mind and from time to time I'd check to see if there was any available re issue of their lone S/T album from 68 on the Spanish Hispavox label but always the same story..the album saw an EMI spanish reissue in '94 but was never offered for sale on any of the usual sites, Discogs etc.
Then at the new year I had an idea...since their singer, the lovely Jeanette Dimech had had a prolific solo career since Pic Nic, maybe there would be some kind of anthology that featured at least some Pic Nic songs?
Went searching and found 'Todas sus grabaciones en discos Hispavox', a 2 CD set
featuring a whopping 19 Pic Nic tracks and a real delight they are too..
Folky/Sunshiney Pop that is quite unlike anything else I've ever heard..there are some tracks that remind of maybe the Sunshine Company for example and at a stretch the overall sound could possibly be compared to Claudine Longet but really, I would say they sound pretty unique and I can't really liken them to anyone else. Definitely a product of more innocent times and maybe not usually the style of music I'd most usually listen to, I'm totally smitten. With all honesty, the most surprised and delighted I've been with a purchase for a while.
They're certainly not gonna be everyones cuppa T but you can check em out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c04mhdEPdyo

Re: Los Pic Nic

Very pretty. Wasn't there a track by Pic Nic on a recent Fading Yellow volume? I'll have to play it again as I recall not liking it first time (the track not the volume!).

You might also like... (as Amazon says)

Nuevos Horizontes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5hZB8kpj90

I really like them, I have several of their 45s. The feamle singer from which went on to form the wonderful...

Vanica Doble
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCkcEQ6WgcQ

Who made interesting and progressive albums in the 70s.

PM

Thanks for that Paul. The Vanica Doble clip was great, I'd be up for hearing more if they're anything like that, I'll do a bit of searching on them in a minute...

Going back a few years now Nick Leese gave me a comp, it may have been one of yours, Soft Wax? There was a much better Neuvos Horizontes track on there, can't remember it's name, don't have my CD's at hand at the mo, but it was fab...

Yeah, the Spanish FY had a couple of Pic Nic tracks, one was Hush Little Baby, an English and inferior, to these ears, version of their biggest hit, 'Callate Nina'

Yes, Soft Wax was one of my freebie comps. It was mainly LP tracks from unreissued US albums of the time with a few 45s on as well. I think the albums I featured on it have largely been commercially reissued by now. Neuvos Horizontes recorded about 4 or 5 singles I think but never an album. Their entire output can be found on the excellent Spanish 2 x CD set:

Jose y Manuel / Nuevos Horizontes - Todas Sus Grabaciones (1970-1976) on the Rama Lama label (got mine from a Swedish etailer so years ago).

You would probably like Jose y Manuel as well, very melodic and harmonic and probably loads of clips on Youtube.

Paul

Sorry, Soft Wax was what the title said, a freebie comp of Fading Yellow-ish style 45s, it was my 'Little Pictures' freebie comp which featured the US unreissued at the time album tracks. The other Nuevos Horzontes track featured on Soft Wax was:

Nuevos Horizontes - Cuatro Estaciones (Columbia, Spain, 45 1969)
You can find it on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6khlNKgRM

The track listing for Soft Wax was:

Soft Wax Vol.1:
01. Key - Pamela (Emily LP, Germany, S/T 1978)
02. Baskin & Copperfield - Beautiful Blue Eyes (Decca 45, 1970)
03. Nuevos Horizontes - Cuatro Estaciones (Columbia, Spain, 45 1969)
04. The American Breed - The Brain (Le Cerveau) (Philips EP, France, 1967)
05. Scott Harris - Barry Johnson’s Sad Eyes Inn (Morgan 45, 1968)
06. Barry Ryan & Verge - Come Home (US promo only 45, 1972)
07. Clodah Rodgers - Spider (RCA, Germany, 45, 1969)
08. Marty Wilde - Zobo (1871-1892) (Phillips LP ‘Diversions’, 1969)
09. Richard Barnes - Maria Elena (Phillips LP S/T, 1970)
10. Tony Blackburn - Open Your Eyes (MGM UK, 45 promo version only, 1969)
11. The Fortunes - Silent Street (Decca 45, 1966)
12. Baskin & Copperfield - Stranger On The Ground (Decca 45, 1970)
13. Neuvos Horizontes - El Afinador De Citaras (Columbia, Spain, 45, 1969)
14. Danny Hutton - Hang On To A Dream (MGM USA, 45, 1968)
15. Barry Benson - Cousin Jane (Parlaphone, 45, 1967)
16. Richard Barnes - Tomorrow Never Comes (Phillips LP S/T 1970)
17. Marty Wilde - Alice In Blue (Phillips LP ‘Diversions’ & 45 B side, 1969)
18. Rich Fever - Island Dreams (Parlaphone 45, 1971)
19. Baskin & Copper field - I Never See The Sun (Decca, 45 1970)
20. The Ides of Love - Hey, Mr Wise Man (Talmu, USA, 45 1967)
21. Cliff Aungier - Time (Polydor 45, 1968)
22. Scott Harris - Morning Sun (Morgan 45, 1968)
23. Marty Wilde - In The Night (Phillips LP ‘Diversions’ 1969)
24. Key - The Farmer And The Fisherman (Emily LP, Germany, S/T 1978)

BONUS TRACK
25. Mike Tingley - Souls of Sanctity (Tulip 45, c.1970)

PM

That's the one Paul, I remember it well, must dig it out for a spin.
With it's clarinet proclamation intro, 'Barry Johnson's Sad Eyes Inn' is toytown heaven and Barry Bensons version of 'Cousin Jane' bests the Troggs own version.
The Baskin & Copperfield tracks are nice too, one half of the duo, John Richardson is a friend of mine and was very surprised that folks are interested in his his pre Rubettes stuff...he nearly fell off his chair when I told him about The Medium's 'Edward Never Lies' being a cult fave too!
However the stand out track on this comp for me was always the first Neuvos Horizontes track with it's great harmonies, which I now Know to be called 'Cuatro Estaciones'. Many thanks again Sir for sharing your fascinating 45 collection with us.

Many of these gems have since saw release on Particles comps but if anyone fancies a Dropbox of Soft Wax, then gimme a shout.

Where is Mr "Fading Yellow 16 due in the new year" anyway? We eagerly await....

Its been years since i heard Marty Wildes "Diversions"album,from what i remember its a pretty solid pop album with a few sike sheens here and there.Has this ever got a legit cd release as ive never saw it on offer anywhere!

Hi Stuart, like almost everything else interesting on the Phillips label Marty Wild's 'Diversions' LP remains unreissued. About time someone in South Korera or Japan reissued it maybe? It is a good pop album, could do with a good remaster though.

PM

Thanks Painterman, yes, a lot of those tunes are on Piccadilly Sunshine volumes now. I've always wanted to surprise an old muso with the current popularity of their most antiquarian recordings, I'd relish that! 'Beautiful Blue Eyes' always brings a tear to my eyes, lovely tune.

Paul