UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Peter and Gordon-Hot,Cold and Custard

I know this albums been mentioned on here before,but ive just listened to it and i just wanted to say i thoroughly enjoyed it,it really is a pretty strong pop album with a nod to the more pop/psych end of things.Its by far Peter and Gordons strongest album,who at one point released 3 albums in 6 months across the big pond where they were bigger than they were back home in old blighty,but oih my god they recorded some trully awful stuff.But back to Hot Cold and Custard,I personally think Peter Ashers written tracks are the strongest things on here and by far more pop/psych than Gordon Wallers songs,Just look at the fab songs Peter ASher wrote,The brilliant pop/psych of the tape looped "I feel Like Going Out",the rather strange "The magic story of the park keeper and his fairy Godmother","The Quest for the holy Grail",The brilliant pop vignette that is"Uncle Hartington"and of course the rather tasty(no pun intended)"Freedom is a Breakfast Food".THis to me doesnt come as a big surprise as Peter ASher had involvement with uk underground scene that was going on with his Indica Book Shop among other things.PLus he became involved in The Beatles Apple Project actually producing the rather tasty debut James Taylor album which to my ears is beautifully produced and arranged,if you've not heard this you should do yourself a favour and find it ,put it on the cd player,sit down relax and just enjoy a cracking little album,i honestly think its one of the best albums released on the Apple label!!But thats another story,but the 2010 reissue of James Taylor comes with 4 bonus tracks which are rather good too and sound quality is fab!!!

Re: Peter and Gordon-Hot,Cold and Custard

Hi Stuart. The Hot Cold & Custard LP was only issued in the US on Capitol at the time, where does Apple come in to it? BGO issued it as a 3 albums on a 2 CD set last year didn't they? It has just been reissued as a stand-alone album for the first time ever as a repro LP CD paper sleeve in Japan on high quality SHM disc format:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-REMASTER-PETER-GORDON-HOT-COLD-bonus-track-JAPAN-MINI-LP-SHM-CD-/351009794877?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item51b9d06b3d#ht_3192wt_1063

This also boasts 15 bonus tracks inc. the mono A&B sides of singles from the album. 'I Feel Like Going Out' in mono is quite a different sound from the stereo album version. Also some very nice Gordon Waller post- P&G solo tracks in a Jimmy Webb style. It also includes P&G's last and post-HC&C 45 which is also a goodie.

PM

Paul Martin
Hi Stuart. The Hot Cold & Custard LP was only issued in the US on Capitol at the time, where does Apple come in to it?
PM

Stuart was referring to the first James Taylor album, produced by Peter Asher and released by Apple...

Right thanks, apolofies Stuart.

PM

I haven't heard their Hot, Cold & Custard, but I love their version of Bernard Webb's "Woman." Of course that was a pseudonym for Paul Mc Cartney. In the US it is sometimes credited to "A. Smith." McCartney does a nice little piano run-through (with some starting and stopping) on the Beatles Get Back sessions, which is where I came across the song. It's not the John Lennon song of the same name (of course).
George Harrison and Paul McCartney both have a song titled "She's My Baby", so now you can answer the Beatles trivia "Name songs by different Beatles with the same title that are not the same song." I get asked that at least three times a week.