UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Move Anthology Box Set 1966-1972

Been listening to this 4 disc book set this weekend,its a bloody fabulous set to have,cracking book with liners by Mark Paytress and track by track info.This was released by Salvo in 2008 along with reissues of Move(double cd set),Shazam and Looking On,all sounding trrifficc!!!!!But back to the book(box set? whatever) set,62 tracks in total and not much filler either,ive come to the conclusion if i could transport myself back to 67/68( i wish)one group i would have to see would be The Move as the live stuff on this book set are tremendous!!Disc 2 Live at the Marquee 1968,is bloody tremendous and had never been released till this collection,powerful stuff indeed.Great to hear the totally different versions of the likes of Flowers in the Rain,Fire Brigade & Night of Fear..........i could go on!!But i must admit and say cd1 is my fave disc,23 tracks of pure and fab psych/pop....but all 4 discs are very good,down to some of the last stuff released by the group like California Man released in April 72,and at the beginning of their recording career with tracks from January 1966 like Youre the one i need & I cant hear you no more,both unreleased till this box set,and well worthwhile additions to their discography.
Anyone else buy this set or receive it as a gift(lucky bugger)And rate it and enjoy it as much as i have over this weekend??FFinally i do remember an Ace Kefford cd collection from a few years back,can someone give some feedback if possible about that cd?I stupidly never bought it back then and i am thinking of getting it if its any good.THanks in advance!!!

Re: The Move Anthology Box Set 1966-1972

I really like that Move Salvo box as well Stuart. As you say, it's full of great music and also packed with liners and pics. I had the Ace kefford CD some years ago, a bit uneven I thought. The best tracks from memory are the Ace Kefford Stand singles and the single he did for MCA in 1976 as Rockstar - 'Mummy' / 'Over The Hill' I tracked down those 45s and sold the CD. Though if I listened to it again, I might have a different opinion now.

PM

Count me in as another proud and happy owner of this as well... it was quite the package really, wasn't it? Stuffed with postcards and two sided poster, it certainly brought back memories of the good old days didn't it?
My only complaint is in the way the discs themselves are held in the book. Everytime I play this set, I swear I hold my breath until I finally get a disc to release from the vice-like grip of those damn tabs! I am so afraid the disc is going to crack... is there a secret to these things? I'd sure like to know...

Resisted this for a while as I've already got a few Move bits and bobs including that great 2 disc set of the 1st album and cash is always an issue for me but it sounds like a great set!
Just picked one up new on ebay for £13.95 plus £2 postage ( for UK anyway )
I think great value at that price, seller has more if anyone's interested.

Thats a bargain Painterman,4 cds and a nice booklet stuffed with info for just under 14 quid....and of course the great music...money well spent mate,im sure you'll lap this up Painterman,one thing this set shows is The Move were a great live band,but the studio work was well above par too.Enjoy!!!!!!!!You mention the double cd of the first album,thats a must have too,some great extras on that one as well.

Seriously, this set should come with a little insert with instructions on how to remove the discs...dumbo that I am, it took me a few frustrating moments before I realised that the clips @ the 2 0'clock position on the disc holders push down to release the disc, then thought, 'nailed it!'....not quite...the trick seems to be after pushing down on that one and hearing it release, you need to ease the disc in the oppposite direction of the remaining two clips BEFORE attempting to lift the disc upwards...anyhoo minor niggle aside, I listened to the first disc last night and the first song, the withdrawn first single 'You're the one that I need' sounds like something from the 1st SF Lp...raw, all feedback & string scraping..very nice indeedy!! The rest of disc one runs like an alternative version of the 1st album and it really is damn good..so many songs about going off yer trolley..ha ha!! Ace Kefford & Bev Bevans rhythm section totally sledgehammers! The last track,'Simple Simon' was only completed as a backing track before being abandoned...why? It's a whopping tune.
Have to add, although I'm not one to usually rave about accompanying booklets so much, this one really does deserve high praise indeed..it's an actual thick book, fat and made of quality paper, jammed packed with all kinds of pop art coolness. You all remember the book that came with the nuggets 2 box? Well this 'un's almost as cool...
£14 new from ebay, a really good buy...
I'll be having disc 2 tonight...Live at the Marquee '68

Hi Painterman,i thought you would enjoy most of this 4 cd set,i agree about the cd trays,theyre a bloody nightmare to put back in as much as taking out.......but a small quibble i feel as the stuff on this set is excellent and so glad you mentioned the booklet with this set as it is one of the best compared to similar sets.I've already bummed this set up so i'll stop there(thank god i hear you all say.....lol)

painterman
Seriously, this set should come with a little insert with instructions on how to remove the discs...dumbo that I am, it took me a few frustrating moments before I realised that the clips @ the 2 0'clock position on the disc holders push down to release the disc, then thought, 'nailed it!'....not quite...the trick seems to be after pushing down on that one and hearing it release, you need to ease the disc in the oppposite direction of the remaining two clips BEFORE attempting to lift the disc upwards

Thanks Painterman, problem solved (read my post above)...
I've rarely listened to this set since the release as I've always feared damaging the discs!
On a sidenote, am I the only one who pre-ordered the box from Face The Music and recieved the 2-sided poster and postcard set? It really is a nice addition to an already amazing box set...

No poster or postcards for me Mark
Must have been a limited thing, tho I'm happy with what I did get for my £14!!
Glad you found my input useful..read my Nuggets post next!
Hope all is good with you mate!