UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Harsh Reality-Heaven and Hell(69)

Been giving this cd a spin reissued by Esoteric Records,this album is a little gem,with some similarities in sound to Procol Harum in places,with nice organ and some fab guitar work to boot,im surprised they dont get much of a mention by uk psych fans as this to my ears falls in the bracket of psych/prog crossover but with nice melodies and brilliantly arranged songs.A track like "Girl of my Dreams"is a splendid floaty psych number to my ears and brain and theres a few more tracks like this like"Melancholy Lady","Devils Answer","Tobacco Ash Sunday"which was released as a single in 1968(which features as a bonus track in mono)it really is an album with a lot to offer the folks on here,the only mis- step in my opinion is the 3 sections titled Mary Roberta,those sections did nothing for me and in my oopinion slightly interrupts the flow of this album.
Anyone else get this cd or has the album with the creepy and yet glorious artwork?A talented bunch of musicians who mustve been listening to Procol Harums early material as this album sounds influenced by them,particularly on the tracks"How Do You Feel?"and"Heaven and Earth"(which was issued as a single in 1969 and which features as a bonus in mono).Good solid album to my ears!!!!!

Re: Harsh Reality-Heaven and Hell(69)

Quite like them Stuart. They remind me somewhat of another UK minor league band of the the time in Raw Material.

How do you Feel is a killer tune.
Think I read somewhere (in the liners maybe?) that Paul Weller covered Tobacco Ash Sunday but it's not on any of the albums of his that I have.

It's a pretty decent album, but I'd say it was definitely second division rather than a real killer. 'Tobacco Ash Sunday' is probably their strongest song - I think I'm right in saying that Paul Weller did cover the song a few years back, but only as a live recording?