UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Legay

There have been rumours for decades of an unreleased acetate by this band knocking around, but Circle have apparently found 4 tracks recorded in 1967/8. Can't wait! Some more info very cool photos here:

Legay: High Flying Around

Re: Legay

I hope they add both sides of the single as well.

Legay morphed into Gypsy whos cd titled"The Romany Collection"is excellent to my ears,it features the first album and 6 tracks that had lay unreleased till this release,i honestly think this stuff is very good,the liners describe this stuff as influenced by the likes of Moby Grape and Buffalo Springfield,which to a certain extent i would agree as some tracks could've fitted on a Moby Grape album,yes that good!!!!Of course to hear more from Legay would be fab as the "No one/the fantastic story of the steam driven banana"is great!!Theres also some cracking photos in the booklet that comes with this cd.And it gives the low down on Legay and Gypsy!!A very worthwhile release indeed released on the HUX label as far back as 2004.

Thanks for that Austin - can't wait to hear and read! I didn't know they were from Leicester (where I live though not my home town). I expect Circle will have some earlier beat era pre-Legay acetates they'll add to make a LP out of it (or post Legay Gypsy demos etc). They always do a bang up job on their releases though it's been a while since they put anything out I think. Great to discover there are still some finds to made like this.
BTW - There's a VG- copy of 'No-One' for sale on Happening 45 website for £110.

PM

Paul Martin
I expect Circle will have some earlier beat era pre-Legay acetates they'll add to make a LP out of it (or post Legay Gypsy demos etc).
PM

According to the webpage, Circle are only releasing those four acetate tracks as a vinyl EP, so I'd imagine there's nothing else in the Legay vaults...

wernt gypsy a country rock band.

Hi Flax,the cd i have they certainly aint a country band,more a US West coast sound to my ears with cracking guitar leads.Well worth searching out.

"High flying around" was briefly up on youtube and it´s AMAZING!!!
One of the best songs i´ve heard in a long while!

I have the first self titled album which contains the excellent track,Let Me Take You Home.

It sure does look cool, thanks for the update Bard

PM

For sure Paul. any idea which badge is which? Circle sure know how to do a great package.

To be honest though I would love to see the No-one/Stream Driven Banana reissued. Any chance Circle people? An original just went for $400 and something(Aust). It's the only way i could ever afford it.

Mr Wisdom's Whopper
For sure Paul. any idea which badge is which? Circle sure know how to do a great package.

To be honest though I would love to see the No-one/Stream Driven Banana reissued. Any chance Circle people? An original just went for $400 and something(Aust). It's the only way i could ever afford it.

I doubt they would do this as it was bootlegged last year but that does mean you can have a naughty 7" of it for 6 pounds.
Eggy

Legay repro 45 and many others besides here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151635676123?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

PM

Cheers for that guys. Didn't know it had been reissued. I checked the other reissues and besides what looks like a lot of Northern soul and similar stuff the psych singles seem to be the same reissues that came out a few years back.
Now the Legay 45 was not in that lot of reissues so must have come out more recently.
My question is, were there any other more recent psych 45 repro issues?
Thanks again for the head up.

Mr Wisdom's Whopper
Cheers for that guys. Didn't know it had been reissued. I checked the other reissues and besides what looks like a lot of Northern soul and similar stuff the psych singles seem to be the same reissues that came out a few years back.
Now the Legay 45 was not in that lot of reissues so must have come out more recently.
My question is, were there any other more recent psych 45 repro issues?
Thanks again for the head up.

I think the more recent ones came with UK small hole rather than the large US style hole. I do not call these reissues I call them bootlegs!!!:)
regards, Eggy

Thanks Eggy.

On another note, was their name actually Legacy and there was misprint on the label, or actually Legay?

No, that was their correct name, pronounced as if French - Le Gay

i was notified today that the High Flying Around 45 has just been posted. Looking forward to that arriving.

It's worth the wait! Got mine yesterday, 9 minutes of joy. The sound quality is good as well, 2 songs from reel to reels (1968-9) and 2 from 1967 which are from an acetate. See what you think, but I was strongly reminded of the Attack with a little Syn in places. Good stuff anyway

PM