UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Herman's Hermits "For Love"

I may have mentioned this song before, but it's a great example of a great b-side. The A-side, "This Door Swings Both Ways" is as cr@p as the title. But the b-side is amazing. Not the Graham Gouldman song "For Your Love", but a completely different tune with a great bendy guitar line it reminds me of "Sandfly" by the Bluejeans, or "Save My Soul" by Wimple Winch. It didn't end up on the CDR "There's A Kind of Blaze" but it should be there. Definitely represents the better side of Herman's Hermits, like the b-side "It's Alright", another good one!

Re: Herman's Hermits "For Love"

Yes,I agree Joe 'For Love' is a great number. It definitely has a 'Save My Soul' or an early Kinks riffishness to it. It's not on the newly issued Japanese mini LP CD edition of 'Blaze' either, and that one's full of bonus tracks not included on the 2002 German Repertoire reissue of 'Blaze'.

In fact the only bonus track these two editions have in common is 'It's Alright', which as you mentioned, is another corking number - a self-penned one for once at that!

Do you have a track list for the 'There's A Kind of Blaze' CDr comp? I'd be interested in seeing of there's anything else not collected on either of the two Blaze CD reisues.

PM

Great song. You can find it on Both Sides Of Herman's Hermits

Yup, it's there, and I picked up the 45 for very cheap.
Paul, "There's a Kind of Blaze" was a CDR a kind RZer put together many years ago, I believe. Actually, it was a fellow named Ashleigh I believe who had a great Internet radio show called "Spinning Wheel Radio" that had lots of good stuff.
Here's the songs of the CDR:
1. Just A Little Bit Better
2. My Reservation's Been Confirmed
3. Last Bus Home
4 Gotta Getaway
5. Wings of Love
6. East West
7. Dandy
8. No Milk Today
9. Rattler
10. Saturday's Child
11. Wild Love
12. You Won't Be Leaving
13. Ace, King, Queen, Jack
14. Don't Go Out In The Rain
15. Moonshine Man
16. Museum
17. My Sentimental Friend
18. One Little Packet of Cigarettes
19. Upstairs, Downstairs
20. London Look
21. Marcel's
22. It's Alright
23. Oh! You Pretty Things (Peter Noone)

At the time I heard that comp, I was really mostly aware of the hits, so it was great to hear their better songs.

Thanks Joe. That would be Ashleigh Norris who aslo did the 3 Spinning Wheel compilation CDs. He writes for Shindig mag sometimes, nice guy. The Hermits did have their 'cool' moments. You can pick up 'It's Alright' and 'For Love' for well under a fiver each quite easily in near mint condition. Here are the bonus tracks from the 2002 and 2014 CD remasters of Blaze. The 2014 includes Peter Noone solo recordings as well.

Paul

Blaze bonus tracks – Repertoire 2002 edition

11. Sleepy Joe (Bonus Track)
12. Just One Girl (Bonus Track)
13. London Look (Bonus Track)
14. Sunshine Girl (Bonus Track)
15. Nobody Needs To Know (Bonus Track)
16. Something Is Happening (Bonus Track)
17. The Most Beautiful Thing In My Life (Bonus Track)
18. Ooh She's Done It Again (Bonus Track)
19. My Sentimental Friend (Bonus Track)
20. My Lady (Bonus Track)
21. Here Comes The Star (Bonus Track)
22. It's Alright Now (Bonus Track)

Blaze Bonus tracks – Japanese mini LP CD 2014 remaster

HERE COMES THE STAR (MONO)
IT'S ALRIGHT NOW (MONO)
YEARS MAY COME. YEARS MAY GO (MONO)
SMILE PLEASE (MONO)
BET YER LIFE I DO (MONO)
SEARCHING FOR THE SOUTHERN SUN (MONO)
LADY BARBARA
DON'T JUST STAND THERE
OH YOU PRETTY THINGS (MONO)
TOGETHER FOREVER (MONO)
RIGHT ON MOTHER
WALNUT WHIRL
SHOO BE DOO AH
BECAUSE YOU'RE THERE
SHOULD I (HAVE LOVED YOU)
EACH AND EVERY MINUTE (MONO)
I DO BELIEVE (IN MUSIC)

That's right Paul. Ashleigh Norris.
I have several of those Peter Noone singles. I'm surprised they didn't include his cover of Tony Hazzard"s "Getting Over You" as well. "Right On Mother" is another Bowie tune, as you undoubtedly know already.
Herman's Hermits definitely cover the spectrum from great to goofy. Their version of "Little Boy Sad" is pretty good too. Maybe not quite as good as the Australian MPD Ltd. version, but definitely not bad. I guess it's originally a rock-a-billy tune by one Johnny Burnette.

I really enjoy the "Blaze"cd issued by Repertoire,never heard or saw the Japanese version......but i did buy the 4 cd set "Into something good-The Mickie Most Years",this has some pretty crap stuff on but theres some absolute beauties too but most have been mentioned in other posts,im sure this has most if not all the tracks mentioned.......im feeling lazy but i did have a quick compare to the lists mentioned......i picked this 4 cd set up pretty cheaply as i would never had paid a lot for it.But maybe i should make a cdr of all the good stuff on it as i have to press next a fair bit on my cd remote control.Im sure it would be a very enjoyable collection to listen too if i did!!While we are talking of the Hermits,i just wanted to say i also have the box set and a BBC set on cd of Dave Dee and co.,they too recorded a fair bit of chaff through their career but also some really good stuff too,i recommend the double cd set of the BBC Sessions as there are some pretty solid songs on this set and a fair bit that they never released.Particularly the early years of their career!!Very interesting!!!!The BBC double set is released by BR music which i think is either a Dutch or German label.