UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ramases - complete discogrpahy set

I just got this today (Amazon couriers deliver on Sundays now!). I've just played the remastered version of 'Space Hymns' and it's beautiful. I bought this set on spec (1000 only made - currently on Amazon UK for £24) as I'd not heard either 'Space Hymns' or 'Glass Top Coffin' before but liked the extracts I sampled on Youtube. It's a lovely album graeat melody and groove. It's lyrically minimal but it's more in the repetition of the words and the rhythm they make. Great use of early electronics as well which really give the album a nice flow.

The six cd set is housed in a hard back book like a slightly wider version of a digipack with thick card sleeves that each disc sits in. There's a glossy booklet in the middle but it has been inserted upside down and back to front!! So you have to make sure your discs don't drop out when you turn it upside down to read! Nonethless, it's a fine looking pckage and I can't wait to tuck into the other discs.

Disc 1 - Space Hymns
Disc 2 - Space Hymns out takes and demos
Disc 3 - Glass Top Coffin
Disc 4 - Glass Top Coffin out takes and demos
Disc 5 - singles (all 6 sides of the Decca, CBS and Major MInor 60s singles) + more unissued stuff
Disc 6 - tribute disc, other contemporary bands do songs from both the albums.

PM

Re: Ramases - complete discogrpahy set

Thanks for that info, Paul. I really like Space Hymns and the singles. Glass Top Coffon is unusual, but definitely not rock. Can't say that one has hit me yet. But there's an oddness to the whole Ramases thing you gotta love. Space Hymns is quite listenable thanks to the varied songs and fine musicianship.

Hmm, I've already got the old Repertoire Cd of "Space Hymns" which I quite like but some of the unissued material is tempting, and I like the Ramases and Selket singles from the late 60s a lot and it would be nice to have them in the highest quality. Thanks for the rundown, Paul. Is there any previously unreleased stuff that caught your ear?

Well I've now played discs 2 (Space Hymns demos) and 5 (singles and alt edits) and I very much enjoyed them both.

Disc 2 has a lot of live in the studio run throughs of the Space Hymn songs and they sound very good and bouncy. There's a lot of banter between the (pre-)10cc guys (the album was recorded at Strawberry Studios in Manchester) and Ram & Sel. It's not a disc you'll want to play every other day, but if you like the Space Hymns album, this is essential as a companion. You really get a good sense of how the songs were constructed. There's quite a bit of isolated harmony singing (rather like the Beach Boys 'Smile' sessions but obviously to a lesser extent.

Disc 5 has all 5 sides of the singles. 'Love You' on CBS UK and 'Screw You' on Major Minor in Europe are the same song with one word changed although I think 'Screw You' has a somehwat heavier overlay of electronics. They share the same B side 'Gold Is The Ring'. These are largely familiar. The other 14 tracks on this disc are shorter alternate edits of mainly Space Hymns songs and these are great as well. They're all finished versions but with different approaches. Some have more electrionic sounds added or different rhythms etc. I especially enjoyed the Solomon King sung version of 'Life Child' which was a no-hit 45. Perfect for inclusion on 'Mixed Up Minds' and probably will be now that I've mentioned it here!

I've yet to play the Glass Top Coffin album and outtakes discs or the 20 track tribute disc. I am though, already pleased I have bought this set on the basis of three discs played so far.

PM

I just realised that Solomon King's version of 'Life Child' also appears on a Queen Victoria label (DTF) comp and also on a CD edition. It was originally the B side to his 'When You've Gotta Go' (Polydor 1972) according to www.45cat.com

PM

Hi Paul and Painterman,got home today from work and theres a bulky package lying behind the door.....YES!!!!it was the Ramases 6 cd set....nice package and no problems with the liners etc being upside down,but there are a few blank pages within the booklet which makes you wonder if theres meant to be text on there.....anyway just listening to the Space Hymns rarities,very nice indeed i must say!!!more stripped down and demo like versions in places,but great to hear those alternative versions and of course demo versions.Next up will be the singles and rarities cd..........Kudos to the people or person behind this set as its obviously a labour of love and a lot of attention has been put to this as the sound of the rare stuff is very good indeed.I really am over the moon to get this set at only 24 quid from Amazon,money well spent i would say.I really enjoy both albums space hymns and glass top coffin,so this is a real pleasure to hear songs in the making.Very good indeed!!!!!!!!!

Agreed Stuart, and only 1000 copies made. I've played Glass Top Coffin now and really liked it. Ramases sings differently on this to Space Hymns and the songs are somewhat lighter I think. They're all just as melodic though and flow as nicely. I thought it had a definite feel of one of those American 1970s self-produced / financed albums that sounded like it was made in the late 60s; a little of the 'Soft Sounds For Gentle People' comps vibe in it and perhaps a bit of Gary Farr. It's a very nice album. the title track could have been a good single as well. Good musicians whoever they were playing on it too. I'll try out the tribute / covers disc next.

PM