UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beacon records comp

Due soon...IMAGINATIONS “Psychedelic Sounds From The Young Blood, Beacon and Mother Labels, 1969-1974”

Famous in collector circles for being the home of rare progressive/psych albums such as Salamander, Julian’s Treatment or Moonkyte, Miki Dallon’s group of labels also released many obscure 45s during the late 60s / early 70s.

Here’s a selection of the most psychedelic sounding plus some overlooked LP-only tracks.

From Mod-Psych to Hard-Rock, from Psychedelic Pop to early Glam, including the devastating hard-psych sounds of Taiconderoga (featuring a young, pre-Damned Brian James!), Small Faces mod influenced sounds by Revolver, Moog psych / proto-glam by The Damned and much more.

Remastered sound, insert with informative liner notes and pictures / memorabilia from the Miki Dallon archives.

Tracklist: REVOLVER: Imaginations – THE DAMNED: Theta – SHAKANE: I’m coming home – UZI & THE STYLES: Morning train – BOOTS: You better run – INFORMATION: Oh strange man – SHAKANE: You go your way – TAICONDEROGA: Whitchi Tai To – TAICONDEROGA: Speakin’ my mind – SHAKANE – Dance of the dead – DEREK PAUL: Drugtaker – RUBBER BAND: Moonwalker – JELLY: Chicago calling – FUNKY BOTTOM CONGREGATION: Things about yourself THE DAMNED: Morning bird

Re: Beacon records comp

Thanks for posting. Intersting, looks a bit short on tracks though, 15? Quite a few appear elsewhere and I have a number of them on 45s. I'm curious about the Shakane and Revolver tracks though. RPM did a Beacon Record comp CD some years ago but it was exclusively soul artists.

Just noticed it's an LP and a CD, so I guess the short play list is because the the CD just replicates the shorter LP. Pity, but still worth having. CD is beiong offered at £12, LP £20 at Juno m/o once in.

http://www.juno.co.uk/search/?q%5Btitle%5D%5B%5D=IMAGINATIONS+-+Psychedelic+Sounds+From+The+Young+Blood%2C+Beacon+and+Mother+Labels%2C+1969-1974+LP

It's on the Spanish Guersson label who are always reliable.

PM

Revolver track on Jagged Time Lapse somewhere maybe?

So it is, on Vol.2 track 17!

P

I didn't know that Mother and Beacon were Miki Dallon's labels...

Gian

They weren't! Beacon was owned by Milton Samuel, Mother was Radio One DJ Emperor Rosko. Hope Guerssen have got a watertight contract on this project...

Patrick
Gian

They weren't! Beacon was owned by Milton Samuel, Mother was Radio One DJ Emperor Rosko. Hope Guerssen have got a watertight contract on this project...

Hi Patrick,

Miki Dallon owns the rights to the Beacon (and its Mother sub-label) catalogues. All details are explained on the liner notes of our "Imaginations" comp.

Cheers,

Alex (Guerssen)

Really groovin with this tasty comp lately...
Nice to hear title track..'Imaginations' by Revolver from master tape, sounds fantastic, bit of a minor classic that...
Same can be said of the Taiconderoga sides, I always thought the flip, 'Speaking My Mind' was way better, but hearing 'Whitchi Tai To' crunchin out of the speakers with great power and clarity convinces me both tracks are killer. Not all the tracks on this comp are from the masters tho but the ones dubbed from vinyl are crystal clear too..
Derek Paul's 'Drugtaker' from '72 is a typical brit soft rocker with so much reverb as to sound like '69 and quite charming it is too...
The real doughnut for me here tho is the Shakane tracks, I had to stop doing what I was doing twice during my first listen to this CD to check the booklet to see who was responsible for these great songs..great harmonies and really good guitar sounds and very tight playing, really catchy stuff imho...all three tracks from the self titled '72 LP. 'I'm Going Home'...can't praise this highly enough..think..Majority One...next track 'You Go Your Way is a much more glammed- up affair...just love the rhythm guitar sound on this and 'Dance of the Dead' is different again, kinda Big Star feel to it with some great slide guitar all over...all three tracks although quite different are superb...so tight and tuneful...learned a little about the band from the liners and that they were responsible for the Oscar Bicycle single.
Someone should do a full collection of this great band...you can get a 'manufactured to CDr on demand' version of the album from Amazon USA but I'm not paying £9 postage on it!
Went off on a tangent there! Yes, the Imaginations comp is a great listen, short on tracks maybe but 90% of it is fantastic imo, best comp since 'Hello Everyone'...good to see that there's still some life in comp land yet...
Anyone else get this?

Yep, I have that as well. I have a lot of the tracks as 45s already but nice to have this as a CD comp as well. I agree the Shakane tracks are great. I also have their Italian only 'From Chicago To L.A' / 'Gangman'45 which are both killer sides. You may be able to find them on Youtube or the Purepop blog site if they haven't been compiled already (possibly on a 'Bonehead Crunchers' LP volume?).

PM