UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mystic Males vol 2

Must be 6 or 7 years since vol 1...

Due soon...From the team that brought you the Soft Sounds For Gentle People series… MYSTIC MALES 2

Pet Records is proud to present the long-­awaited second volume of Mystic Males. Featuring thirteen rare sides by "tripped-out troubadours from 1966-­?1973,” this is a totally mind-bending collection of rare and obscure 45s by proto-­hippies and recent graduates from 60s punk groups like Boenzee Cryque and the Third Bardo.

This volume is particularly heavy on the mystic. Lots of sitar, weird ethnic percussion, unexpected fuzz guitar breaks, groovy beats, and modal moaning. This is mellow acid psych at it’s utmost trippiest. Don’t delay, Volume one of Mystic Males sold out very quickly.

This release is limited to just 500 CDs. After that, they’re gone!

TRACK LIST 1. Tyree Forrest-­Four Robins Singing 2. Darius-How Much Do I Love You 3. Jeff Dunn-I’m a Deeper Blue 4. Gerry Pond-­Sometime Girl 5. Shalynn-­Flower Song 6. Ed Powers-­London Bound 7. Dick St. John-Lady of the Burning Green Jade 8. Paul Stoop-­Daydream 9. Richard Coronado-­Before She Goes 10. Stephen Hartley-­The Other Side 11. Malcolm Mitchell-­Feather 12. Art Gee-Tea Gardens 13. Jeff Monn-­My Good Woman Due soon...From the team that brought you the Soft Sounds For Gentle People series… MYSTIC MALES 2

Pet Records is proud to present the long-­awaited second volume of Mystic Males. Featuring thirteen rare sides by "tripped-out troubadours from 1966-­?1973,” this is a totally mind-bending collection of rare and obscure 45s by proto-­hippies and recent graduates from 60s punk groups like Boenzee Cryque and the Third Bardo.

This volume is particularly heavy on the mystic. Lots of sitar, weird ethnic percussion, unexpected fuzz guitar breaks, groovy beats, and modal moaning. This is mellow acid psych at it’s utmost trippiest. Don’t delay, Volume one of Mystic Males sold out very quickly.

This release is limited to just 500 CDs. After that, they’re gone!

TRACK LIST 1. Tyree Forrest-­Four Robins Singing 2. Darius-How Much Do I Love You 3. Jeff Dunn-I’m a Deeper Blue 4. Gerry Pond-­Sometime Girl 5. Shalynn-­Flower Song 6. Ed Powers-­London Bound 7. Dick St. John-Lady of the Burning Green Jade 8. Paul Stoop-­Daydream 9. Richard Coronado-­Before She Goes 10. Stephen Hartley-­The Other Side 11. Malcolm Mitchell-­Feather 12. Art Gee-Tea Gardens 13. Jeff Monn-­My Good Woman

Re: Mystic Males vol 2

It's on vinyl as well, due end of May I think.

PM

Just been playing the cd edition. Very interesting and eclectic. I've not come across that many of the tracks before. Jeff Monn's album of course is quite well known and I think Dick St John's 'Lady Of The Burning Green Jade' has recently appeared on something I also have. Darrius is well known but not the song on here. But Tyree Forrest? Art Gee? The whole set is in keeping with the Pet Recrods west coast vibe, but quite a few of thes peeople sound like they were on something (or withdrawing from something possibly!). They quaver and almost go off centre vocally but just manage to hang in there which only adds to the enjoyable quirkiness! Most of these selections seem to be obscure 45s and that's the best for me. Like the Dylan sound-a-like collection of a couple of years back, this new CD comes in a gatefold card sleeve and is also on LP.

PM

hi.do you know what's the sound quality of the lp reissue?thanks a lot..

Not got the vinyl edition but I would imagine much the same as the CD. I have the Pet Records 'It's Zimmerman's World' in both formats and I can't say I detected any sound difference between them really.

PM