UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jim Keays-Gone But Not Forgotten

Lead singer of The Masters Apprentices passed away today after a battle with The Big C. IMO The Masters were Australia's best ever band. If things were fairer they should have been huge around the world. They were as good as anyone from the UK, US or the continent and they're output from 65-73 was hard to fault for quality.

Re: Jim Keays-Gone But Not Forgotten

Yeah , great band . May him rest in peace my friend

Greg and Antonio i agree,they were a great band and its sad to hear about Jim Keays death after losing the battle against cancer,i just love that first album,some cracking pop/psych on there but even when they got heavy with stuff on Panama Red....it turned out fab.Its a shame that the only decent reissue of their stuff is the Aztec Musics release of that first album but with an extra disc of unreleased stuff there too,i wish the likes of Aztec would do the likes of Panama Red,as the availability of said album on cd is pretty poor!!!!!I must say i think Jim Keays was an integral part of their sound and it really is sad to see another 60s musician pass away............RIP

Only just seen this, I'm gutted.
Boy from the Stars has gone home

Bad month, Doc Neeson died as well...possibly not ended up as an Angel

yes :(
RIP JK

Glen Wheatley(bass-Masters), Russell Morris(of The Real Thing fame)and Brad Sheppard(Hoodoo Gurus) played It's Beacause I Love You at his funeral. No Doug Ford which seemed surprising.
Plenty of laughs and good stories apparently made it a special occasion.

Glad I saw the original Masters in 2002. All my fave Aus artists are snuffing it. Little Stevie Wright stills seems to keep the right side of the soil, wouldn't have predicted that 20 years ago.

Not too sure how Stevie Wright is still alive Frothy. He looks terrible, in fact you would never recognise him from his Easybeats days.
I think he still has drug issues and I'm pretty sure he had electric shock therapy which certainly didn't help, but as you said, he's still hanging in there.
Sort of like Shane McGowan. Saw The Pogues a couple of years ago and he certainly didn't look good and didn't play the whole gig.

There's nothing quite like methadone for the rapid onset of the Shaun Ryder look