UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Electric Banana, a very Pretty Thing. Is there a box set?

Is there a reasonably priced box set of the Electric Banana releases? Think there was 4 or 5 LPs released
Cheers

Re: Electric Banana, a very Pretty Thing. Is there a box set?

Hi Ninja,i dont know if theres a box set available,but i know Repertoire released 2 Electric Banana cds many many years back,but most recent theres a cd released out of Austria of all places by Enigmatic records which features 28 tracks from the recordings they did for the DeWolfe Music Library under THe Electric Banana guise,i must say this cd is excellent,great sound quality too and features instrumental tracks of stuff like Eagles Son,Itll Never Be Me,Blow Your Mind,Alexander along with the normal vocal versions and so much more,I wasnt aware there were 5 albums released,i thought there was only 3,Electric Banana(67),More Electric Banana(68) and Even More Electric Banana(69).This cd is a psych delight and anyone liking The Pretties psych phase will love this stuff!!!!
Wasn't there a vinyl only relese of this stuff released a few year back titled"Blow Your Mind"?As far as i know thats about all the releases of Electric Banana stuff i have heard off being reissued....hopefully someone can give you more info on this.Great period of he Pretties career!!!!

Just to add a footnote to Stuart's usful reply, 10th Planet issued the 'Electric Banana Turns You On' LP years ago and is still one of the most sought after of 10th Planet releases on the secondary market. The EB tracks tend to be added on as extras or absorned into other Pretties collections such as the Snapper 2 x cd release 'The Pyschedelic Years'. of course, these usually leave off the instrumentals that comprised side 2 of the 1st EB LP for instance. I'd love to see all three EB albums reissued in vinyl / CD as a box set with some informative notes in their original running order.

PM

Thanks Paul,getting my titles mixed up,it was the Tenth Planet vinyl issue titled \"Turns you On\"i was meaning .....not Blows your mind............which must be a thiing i made up in a dream....lol.......
But i totally agree,those Electric Bananas recordings deserve much better treatment..a box would be sound with informative liners and some photos from the time............och...im dreaming again!!!!!

I think the releases are;
Electric Banana (1967)
More Electric Banana (1968)
Even More Electric Banana (1969)
The Electric Banana: Live at the Grand (1969)
Hot Licks (1970)
The Return of the Electric Banana (1978)

Think there is at least one comp

I have seen the last two of those titles on Ebay on occasion and quite expensive they are as well. Though the sleeve art does not look relevant to the presumed content and I have not seen any track lists or details about what they are. If I remember correctly, despite the dates given, they were issued in Germany in the 1980s, though I might be completely wrong there. I have always assumed they were early repackages / reissues of the best tracks from the original EB albums. The 'live 1969' album I would imagine is a period Pretty Things gig where they will of course have played their EB songs in with everything else, rather than it being some specifically EB project. The EB name being used as a marketing device in the more recent psych revival era. All of the above maybe entirely wrong however!

Does anyone know what's on those last three albums:

The Electric Banana: Live at the Grand (1969)
Hot Licks (1970)
The Return of the Electric Banana (1978)

PM

Blows Your Mind (1997) listing
Alexander
It'll Never Be Me
I Love You
Grey Skies
What's Good For The Goose
If I Need Somebody
Street Girl
Blow Your Mind
Eagle's Son
I See You
Love, Dance And Sing
Danger Signs
Walking Down The Street
A Thousand Ages From The Sun
Rave Up

http://www.discogs.com/artist/234867-Electric-Banana-The has 5 albums & 4 comps. Not checked the track listings but maybe many duplicates

Yeah Frothy those are the tracks that are on the CD mentioned above by Stuart and you get instrumentals of all of those too.
One minor quibble with that disc is you get the vocal version then the instrumental straight after, would rather have them seperate myself...but that is minor...the sound on this cd is the best I've heard of these recordings and it's well worth getting.

The Return Of The Electric Banana
A1 Do My Stuff 4:48
A2 Take Me Home 5:03
A3 James Marshall 3:36
A4 Maze Song 3:58
A5 Whiskey Song 3:58
B1 Do My Stuff (Instrumental) 4:48
B2 Take Me Home (Instrumental) 5:04
B3 James Marshall (Instrumental) 3:31
B4 Maze Song (Instrumental) 3:52
B5 Whiskey Song (Instrumental) 4:06

Hot Licks
A1 Sweet Orphan Lady 4:31
A2 I Could Not Believe My Eyes 3:17
A3 Good Times 4:13
A4 Walk Away 3:49
A5 The Loser 3:22
A6 Easily Done 3:54
B1 Sweet Orphan Lady 4:31
B2 I Could Not Believe My Eyes 3:17
B3 Good Times 4:13
B4 Walk Away 3:49
B5 The Loser 3:22
B6 Easily Done 3:54

Not found a listing for Live at the Grand yet

Except for completists, I am not sure the "library music" of the PT deserve more than one CD of 17 tracks with vocals.

This is very good to excellent, but the instrumental tracks are of no interest imoo.

I don't know why the 2004 LP by Guerssen has only 14 tracks instead of 17 but it is for me the quintessence of this time. No need much, even if the PT are my favorite band of this era.