UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Mascots on RPM!!

Mascots 'Elpee' gets 2CD treatment on RPM.
Don't think the Fallout or whatever label it was that we got some years back was from the master tapes so I'll def be picking this up...their 1st '65 album finally gets a reissue too....

Due 22/09...Ellpee, released in 1966, was the second album by Sweden’s Mascots. Their unique take on the beat era married melancholy to unforgettable, yearning melodies.

RPM International’s expanded edition two-disc set supplements this landmark release (on Disc One) with all the non-album singles Mascots issued from the year it was released to when the band bowed out in 1969, including the classic Words Enough To Tell You (on Disc Two).

All tracks are drawn from the master tapes in the archive of EMI Sweden. Ellpee is a sought-after rarity and has never before been legally reissued inside or outside Sweden.

The story, embracing their evolution into the important Fria Proteatern, is told beyond Sweden for the first time with the help of the band’s Stefan Ringbom, who is interviewed exclusively.

Ellpee is accompanied by RPM International’s equally essential expanded edition of their first album Your Mascots (Retro 951). Together, these are the last word on one of the era's most significant bands.

DISC ONE 1. THE WINNER 2. THIS PROUD CROWD 3. I CLOSE YOUR EYES 4. THINGS ARE TURNING OUT 5. EVERY WAY I THINK OF YOU 6. DROOPY DROPS 7. NOBODY CRYING 8. DID YOU EVER THINK 9. I WON’T LET YOU DOWN 10. THAT’S YOU 11. I WANT TO LIVE 12. I DON’T LIKE YOU 13. THIS TIME GIRL 14. A DIFFERENT MIND

DISC TWO 1. WORDS ENOUGH TO TELL YOU 2. WOMAN) 3. MEET ME 4. WE SHOULD REALIZE 5. THE GIRL THAT YOU ARE 6. SINCE YOU BROKE MY HEART 7. STEWBALL 8. SO SAD ABOUT US 9. YOU COULD BE MY FRIEND 10. DAVE’S IDEA 11. TELL ME LADY 12. AAAH, I LOVE YOU 13. IF I HAD A SHIP 14. EVERYONE KNOWS FOR SURE 15. HADE JAG EN BÅT 16. SÄG MEJ VAR ÄR BLOMMORNA 17. MOREEN 18. BABY, YOU’RE SO WRONG 19. WHOOEE (YOU AIN’T GOIN’ NOWHERE) 20. BLACK AND WHITE 21. YOU’RE NEVER GONNA FIND ME 22. A LIFE LIKE THAT

Due 22/09...Your Mascots, released in 1965, was the first album by Sweden’s Mascots. Their unique take on the beat era married melancholy to unforgettable, yearning melodies.

RPM International’s expanded edition supplements this landmark album with all the non-album singles Mascots issued in the run up to it hitting Sweden's shops, including the withdrawn Too Much Monkey Business.

All tracks are drawn from the master tapes in the archive of EMI Sweden. Their debut album is a soughtafter rarity and has never before been legally reissued inside or outside Sweden.

The story is told beyond Sweden for the first time with the help of the band’s Stefan Ringbom, who is interviewed exclusively.

Your Mascots is accompanied by RPM International’s equally essential expanded edition of their second album Ellpee (Retro D952). Together, these are the last word on one of the era's most significant bands.

1. GOODBYE 2. WHAT CAN I DO 3. TIP OF MY TONGUE 4. MY VERY BEST 5. WHEN I RETURN 6. A SAD BOY 7. STONES FELL 8. FROM MY LOVE 9. FOR HIM 10. TOO MUCH MONKEY BUSINESS 11. I FEEL ASHAMED 12. WALKING WITH MY ANGEL 13. I LIKE MY BIKE 14. YES I KNOW 15. LYCKAN 16. LESSEN 17. BABY BABY 18. CALL ME YOUR LOVE 19. TOO MUCH MONKEY BUSINESS (SINGLE VERSION)

Re: The Mascots on RPM!!

I'm up for that one!

PM

Just got the "Ellpee" and"Your Mascots"cds today,i was a bit dissappointed with their first album from 65"Your Mascots" but as for 66 "Ellpee"a different story,what a difference 12 months can make in songwriting terms as "Ellpee"is a good album and dare i say it miles ahead of their debut.As for the extra disc on the "Ellpee" set,some good stuff but there is some not so good stuff to my ears too,it hits it home listening to all those non album singles....and as stated in the liners The Mascots were basically a pop group,but most of the songs on "Ellpee"are far better than most of those non album singles and imo go beyond just being a pop group.But The Mascots were huge in their native Sweden and a it states in the liners they were looking for hits most of their career...which unfortunately had to include more than a few clunkers.I recommend "Ellpee"way before the debut debut which to my hearing aids is an average beat album.....maybe im being harsh as ive only heard it once,but as i do a lot i'll give it a few more spins.
As with all RPM cds the liners are good and more importantly the sound is excellent and at last i can get rid of the cruddy radioactive cd.

The first Mascots LP is one of the best Merseybeat albums to NOT come from Liverpool. It's probably better than a lot that did, as well.

But, yes, "Elpee" is easily one of the very best '60s Eurobeat albums as the songwriting, for the most part, is of a very high standard with very little in the way of filler.

The later 45s are not much to write home about although I do like "Baby, You're So Wrong" which actually got a release in the US. The Shanes found themselves in a similar position of recording a lot of garbage in the hopes of getting another hit at the tail end of their career.