UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Status Quo-Spare Parts

I must say i enjoy this second album more than their debut"Picturesque Matchstickable Messages From The Status Quo",though both are very enjoyable slabs of pop/psych to my ears,the second album from "69 still features some similar sounds to the debut,but to my ears a little better songwriting features on this album,all but one song where all originals and i feel John Schroeders production was spot on,asdding certain ambelishments like adding some brass,orchestration and less of the so called psych effects that appear on the first album.The 2 all out psych tracks that stick out for me are "When I Awake" and "Mr Mind Detector"both excellent slabs of lysergic pop.The whole album ticks over very nicely,in my opinion not a bad track features on this album and i dont understand why it very rarely gets a mention when folk talk of the psych era Status Quo,by this time not The Status Quo,just Status Quo......and whats odd was the decision by Pye their record label to release a cover version of The Everlys "Price of Love"(a very psyched up version i must add)just before "Spare Parts"was released,odd?Well yes as this did not feature on the new album,a sign the the record label were losing trust and interest in the groups development?
Anyway after this album they took a break and changed all together for the next album 'Ma Kellys Greasy Spooon"?Well nearly,gone was the psych attire and ruffled shirts.....to a more non psych look.....as for the music....i like this album too,not all of it,but there is much to like,a few little crackers are "Daughter","Everything"(beautiful cello riddled song) and""Shy Fly"all with a distinct post psych flavour.....but thats for another time.Of course both the double cd deluxe issues of both those first 2 albums on cd are a must have for your psych fipperries,the 1st album on cd has loads of extras which makes it even more enjoyable with BBC Sessions etc!!!!"Spare Parts"features both stereo and mono versions with a couple of unreleased at the time numbers.
Am i a spare for preferring "Spare Parts"?Whats your take on those first 2 albums?Finally dont think Greasy Spoon is all 12 bar blues stuff cos it aint,its a pretty enjoyable album too again the cd has loads of extras!!Go and investigate i get a funny feeling you'll be surprised at what you hear!!!

Re: Status Quo-Spare Parts

Excellent post Stuart.
I like Ma kellys a lot.

once had price of love 45 cost 2/6 and was a a copy.PS what do you think of little miss nothing?

yes, spare parts is a nice little album. I bet no one realised what they would turn into though.

Little Miss Nothings a fine tune.
Their first 3 albums are great with me, not over keen on Dog Of Two Head tho...
They were back on form with Piledriver tho..albeit in a different style to the earlier stuff...I like Quo's early / mid 70's stuff

Hi Painterman,i must say i wasn't too enamoured with Dog of Two Head album either,and thats all ive investigated,not heard any other albums after that.....You mention Piledriver...is that a heavy rock type album?Or is it an album that they developed into their 12 bar blues sound??And yes "Little Miss Nothing"is indeed a nice track.

Piledriver has some 12 bar n boogie stuff but it's not heavy, it's quite poppy.
It has its quieter moments too which I really like, 'A Year' 'All The Reasons'
& 'Unspoken Words'...the latter is a nice bluesy ballad that sounds very like George Harrison believe it or not...those three are lovely even if you don't like the 12 bar sound. The follow up 'Hello' is difficult not to like also and you can pick em up for a few quid mate.

Piledriver also contains the great little track Paper Plane which was released as a single.