UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question: The End

OK, I have a question about the the band the End and perhaps helpful people here can clue me in. I have two songs by the End on my computer with no song titles, and I can't seem to find them on any list of albums by the End, so I'm wondering if they weren't a single, but I can't find one that has titles that fit.
Anyway, the first song starts out talking about a long-necked giraffe and then goes on to a chorus that goes something like "I know it's making you mad" before going into a rousing chorus of "We want the changes in our time...Let's have the changes here and now, don't waste another hour" and there's some orchestration on the track.

The second song has a similar sound but starts with "Down the street the houses are bare, there used to be people running around and kids everywhere..." The song is kind of an anti-Penny Lane. It seems that the chorus is "What has Happened to the People" which I suppose could be part of the title? This song is also orchestrated.

Does anyone here know the titles of these songs? Any help greatly appreciated!

Joe

Re: Question: The End

It's the 1969 CBS solo single by ex-End man Colin Giffin, 'Changes In Our Time'/'When I Was Young'.

Very cool! I knew Regal Zonophone would come to my rescue! Thanks Andy. Sounds great, too. I should have known about this record a long time ago!
Much obliged!

Joe

I don't even see that single on Popsike.com. Did they print up five copies and recall it? It's also not mentioned on Discogs. Pretty rare single, it seems...

I've just checked on popsike, and there are six copies listed on there. There have probably been more sold via ebay as it hasn't always sold for the minimum price to qualify it for popsike inclusion.

I bought an Ex grade copy of this great 45 on eBay a few years ago from 'Fat Andy's Records'. He had a £50 reserve price and that's what I paid, no-one bid on it which is odd as at the time it was selling for around £80-100 because of the End connection apart form the fact is a a great double sider. I remember a copy selling along with a promo sheet from CBS about Colin, on eBay for about £100 just before I found mine. I think it's the only solo 45 he made, he went into record production after that.

PM

It is indeed a great single, but the price for it has always fluctuated wildly. For example, a mintish copy sold for £17 on UK ebay in late 2011.

Yes, these things come in fashion with hipsters and collectors then fall off a bit. I'm hoping this has happened to John Kerruish's 'Time To Wander' on A&M which is another great 45 that always sold over around £100. I see there is a Lebanese copy reserved at £30 on eBay presently, and 2 other Lebanese copies have sold for that price in the past but I'd like to find a British one. I wonder why it would get a Lebanese release but not an e.g. German or Spanish one, odd.

PM

All interesting. Maybe I typed in his name wrong on Popsike. I'll try again. Even though I have a lot of the Pop Cycles I don't think I have the one where Colin Giffin showed up. Looks like the a-side has made it to a couple of compilations.

Joe

P.S. Yup, I stupidly stuck an "r" in his last name.... Colin Giffin. Got it....
P.P.S. Apart from sounding like the End, Changes in our Time reminds me of The Apple's Buffalo Billycan, another fine pop psych tune.

Yes he's not Peter's brother from Family Guy!

Ha! My eyes aren't what they used to be, but I don't remember a cameo on that show, so I suppose you're right!