UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DC5-Everybody Knows(68)

Dave Clark 5......eemmm what about them??Well ive just listened to their 68 album "Everybody Knows"which to my ears features 5 fabdab paisley pop veering to the psych side of things numbers......."Inside and Out"is just tremendous and imo up there with their acid pop delight"Maze Of Love",the fuzzed up"Concentration Baby"which im sure i heard on one of the volumes Jagged Time Lapse collections, "Lost in His Dreams"a vignette about a man whos lost in his dreams,a brilliant piece of lysergic pop which would fit greatly on a Rubbles comp,"A Little Bit Now"which sounds like a number Don Fardon wouldve made,a pretty groovy 60s gogo dance number and finally "Good Love is Hard To Find"with its wailing harmonica and brilliant fuzzed up guitar making this another winner!!Out of 11 tracks 5 are very good which are the ones ive mentioned which will be of major interest to folk on here,but theres another few tracks that are ok and a couple bog standard beat ballads type of thing,but a pretty enjoyable album none the less.,i have the albums "5 by 5","You got what it takes"and of course "Everybody KNows"on one cd released by a company called Crystalbeats,its not legit but the sound quality is great and its not in a jubilee case either.Finally i just wanted to mention"Tabatha Twitchit" from "You got what it takes"this is sike par excellence and has to be heard for more of the wimsical sike officiandos!!!Did DC5 record more songs that have been sprinkled with dayglo fairydust??If so could you tell me and where theyre from??Many thanks,
Stuart.

Re: DC5-Everybody Knows(68)

yep DC5 excellent to my ears

Probably the most interesting of their (mildly) psychedelic tunes is the tough Maze Of Love, the b-side to Red Balloon that also appears on the UK LP Five By Five (not the same as the US LP). Also on that UK LP is the atmospheric folky Devoted To Me. A typical British popsike number is the single b-side Man In The Pin Stripe Suit. Another single b-side to look up is the freakbeat number Concentration Baby. Slightly earlier, in 1966, they issued perhaps their most consistent LP (only in US) "Try Too Hard", there are no psychedelic sounds to be found here, but it could still worth it. The most relevant track here would probably be one of my fave tracks, the underrated Somebody Find A New Love. But there are some nice uptempo tracks with the typical DC5 brought up-to-date like I Know, It Don't Feel Good, the title track. By the way their TV special from 1968 Hold On is also currently available on YT.

Oh true, Concentration Baby is on the US LP Everybody Knows, but not on the UK LP. Their discography is quite convoluted.

Jonas many thanks for that info....yes you are right,the differences between the US albums and UK equivelant are annoyingly different,i hate that with a lot of 60s albums,even The Beatles never escaped this bastardised stuff.I would love to see a DC5 box set....but will that ever happen?It seems Dave Clark owns all this stuff along with the rights to the 60s music tv show Ready Steady Go a must see for all 60s music fans.If i remember right many years ago UK TV Channel 4 showed reruns of RSG.......but ive not saw them since on UK tv!!!Anyway back to the DC5 stuff,it seems Dave Clark is very protective of this stuff,maybe thats why you only get the best of......cds released ever so often ...and not legit cd reissues of their albums.Oh man i suppose i can dream about a box set,it would contain some great sounds,i find DC5 music consistently good,no matter what genre or style they played...they played it well!!.......im dreaming!!