UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cliff Wade-The pop-sike World Of

Hauled this cd out of its dark cupboard space today,i had forgotten what fun there was to listen to this splendid mellotron filled artefact....if you like your pop filled with the strains of mellotron this could certainly fit the bill,of course this is part of the Morgan Blue Town gang of releases,many of the tracks on this cd never saw the light of day till this cd release way back in 2001 and some do have that unfinished quality about them....but you get the impression they may have just accquired a mellotron and wasted no time in using it as many of the songs are bursting with that great big cumbersome machine.Many good songs were put to tape in 1969,only 2 tracks got to see a release at that time,the rather wonderful double sider"Youve never been to my house/Sister"....but there are many highlights to be had on this cd,the last i looked this cd was going for the princely sum of 2 quid...a real bargain as it comes complete with a photo filled booklet telling the story of the recordings.I hadn't played this cd for many years and now that i have im so glad i got reaccquainted with the likes of Rose Village,Shirley,Fern Meadows,the lovely acoustic Sandy,the baroque November and Gonna Meet the Man and many more.In fact the Morgan Blue town label (and studio)released of course Pussy PLays(the reissue from many years back contained a whole cd of pre Pussy group Fortes Mentum which has some real decent unreleased recordings on it)The Smoke,The Academy,Bobak,Jones Malone Motherlight,Wil Malones self titled album( a real little beauty again the cd reissue came with an extra cd of goodies).An interesting label and studio!!!!! Anyone else appreciate Cliff Wade and Morgan Blue Town as a whole??

Re: Cliff Wade-The pop-sike World Of

Just checked Amazon,this cd has shot up in price compared to the last time i looked(which was a long time ago)its now going for 14 quid...i must also mention other artistes associated with Morgan were Chimera,Fickle Pickle,Orange Bicycle,Bob Grimm,Angel Pavement....and others ive probably forgot thru time!!!

I love that CD and quite glad to have found the Italian issue of that beautiful single, not able to get the Pussy single (and LP) on the same Saint Martin label though

There has recently been a compilation issued entitled "Look At Me I've Fallen Into A Teapot" the title track of which I've known for years and had a curious ending which sounds like someone in a toilet (!) which was quite funny but has been hacked off for the new release, anyone know why?

Strangely I’ve been going through my CDs and just yesterday saw this one. I’ll have to give it another listen as I think I heard it once and forgot about it.

Joe,its a nice cd,snatches of that cumbersome but smashing sounding mellotron,so i call it period pop with mellotron,possibly simliar to Simon Dupree and the Big Sound recordings for their proposed album"Once More Over The Breach My Dear Friends"or whatever it was to be titled,that eventually got released decades after their initial recording,mellotron is excellently used in a pop setting,rather than a psych or prog setting,a but like D'Abo era Manfred Mann?