UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chris Britton-As I Am(69)

Been giving this album a spin from Troggs man Chris Britton,its a nice n neat pop album from the late 60s,i particularly love the track"Fly With Me"which is more or less the most psych like track on a very consistently catchy pop album imo.The albums full of strings and brass augmented in parts with harpsichord (particularly on the lovely medevil sounding "If you really care") and a real period piece to my ears.Theres also some really fab acoustic picking from The Troggs guitarist,Chris Britton who also wrote the fab Troggs tracks"Butterflies and Bees",and the awesome psych number "Maybe the Madman"amongst others.Its about time some UK company thought about reissuing this as its only available on jap import i think,but as with most Jap reissues the sound quality is fab......a real treat of an album that deserves to be heard by more 60s pop pickers.

Re: Chris Britton-As I Am(69)

Saw it in 82 for 30 quid but didnt buy it

wow you have great memory steve56 !!!!

I only afford this on CD reissue too and best tracks as I am and sit down beside me

for me :)

best, eggy

Well I like it too, and about Troggs... is there a compilation of their more psych oriented tracks?

Hi Guys,Gian i dont think there is a collection of The Troggs psych or as i call them dayglo tracks,tho i have thought it many times about putting one together for my own enjoyment,but alas laziness always seems to takeover,so i've never done it as yet.But it would be a pretty tasty collection,tho maybe a tad short .Mind you the 2 psych-pop collections of Marmalade and The Tremeloes are terrific,particularly The Tremeloes set,which is bloody magic!!!

Mixed Bags a good one usually sells for under 100 quid.

The Repertoire cds are great and all loaded with bonus tracks, I really like the early 70s Pye 45 sides like 'Strange Movies' and 'I'm on fire' that are included as bonuses on 'Hip Hip Hooray'...( basicly Mixed Bag on cd with 11 bonus )

Agreed I own both Marmalade/Tremeloes CDs and they are very good, so a Psych comp of Troggs would very welcome (ehi @Repertoire?). Do you think you could write a list of their more psych oriented tracks to have an idea? Thanks a lot :)

Apparently one of the Cherry Red labels put together a Troggs psych compilation (also a DDDBM&T one), but Universal wouldn't give them a licence to do it.

Justin
Apparently one of the Cherry Red labels put together a Troggs psych compilation (also a DDDBM&T one), but Universal wouldn't give them a licence to do it.

Hi Justin does this mean Universal will do one themselves?
Best, Eggy

[Hi Justin does this mean Universal will do one themselves?
Best, Eggy[/quote]

No, it means exactly the opposite, that it's too minor for them to bother doing anything with

Justin
Best, Eggy

No, it means exactly the opposite, that it's too minor for them to bother doing anything with[/quote]

The Troggs are "too minor"

WOW

eggy
Justin
Best, Eggy

No, it means exactly the opposite, that it's too minor for them to bother doing anything with

The Troggs are "too minor"

WOW [/quote]

I meant that a Troggs-go-psych idea is too minor to interest them. But yes, compared to U2, the Rolling Stones, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, the Beatles, Elton John, Lady Gaga, Eminem and all the other stuff that Universal own, the Troggs are indeed "too minor". Sad but true.

Justin

I meant that a Troggs-go-psych idea is too minor to interest them. But yes, compared to U2, the Rolling Stones, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, the Beatles, Elton John, Lady Gaga, Eminem and all the other stuff that Universal own, the Troggs are indeed "too minor". Sad but true.

yes I understand. very sad :( I know Universl are hard for dealing with for obscure/low quantity projects but thought Troggs big enough name to pass. What a pity.
Best, eggy

A big thanks to the kind 'zoner who gave me a copy of this lovely album!

What a treat it is too...the opener 'Sit Down Beside Me ' is a feast for the ears opening with some very Syd sounding
chords and descending flutes over the top before the groove kicks in... bit of an Aquarian Age vibe or maybe The End...pretty awesome.

Harp, harpsichord and strings for 'Will it Last' and at this point I became aware of what a real nice voice Mr Britton has...something that becomes more apparent as the album goes on...I'm not comparing him to them but hearing this gives me the same kinda feeling as I got when I was a teenager hearing Donovan and Syd Barrett for the first time...warm, friendly and enchanting. This is such a beautiful song, One of my faves on this album that I can't stop playing!

Maybe Time Will Change You is really warm and friendly pop with bendy strings and just grows on you

As for 'Fly With Me', I'm surprised it hasn't showed up on any of the top tier pop psych comp series, it's an absolute classic!!

'How Do You Say Goodbye' is another great song, genius strings and harmony arrangements...there are other good songs on this album but I won't go on too much. 'Evil Woman' sounds out of place on here imo and funnily enough it's the only thing on here that sounds remotely like The Troggs. I'm not keen as he has a kinda put on snarly voice and not his usual dreamy tones!

I'm a little taken aback by just how great an album this is and like other great brit pop psych, seemed to be instantly
somehow familiar...