UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Demis Roussos-On the Greek Side of my Mind(71)

Just been listening to this strange album,recorded by Roussos just before Aphrodite's Child released the awesome 666,as you probably know Roussos was the vocalist for the cracking Aphrodite's Child who recorded many a fine psych song,after listening to this album,i cant see why any Aphrodite's Child fan would not want this album,it is a real pleasure to hear imo,and has a definite sound to Aphrodite's Child stuff.The liners state that this album is"as psychedelic as it was atmospheric"and also "rich orchestrated progressive pop".....who am i to argue as those descriptions are spot on to my ears but with a Greek twist.This album has been officially released on cd by RPM in 2012 and i wholly recommend to Aphrodites Child enthusiasts,im sure you wont be disappointed.Anyone else heard this and enjoyed as much as i have?A real curio indeed it is and nowt like the hits he would have a couple of years later(thank goodness).

Re: Demis Roussos-On the Greek Side of my Mind(71)

Didn't know about this one Stuart, just listened to the samples, sounds great.
Love Aphrodites Child, especially the 'End of the World' album. Apart from their albums being very psychedelic indeed,
Demis does some epic emotional pop psych balladry!!
A nice surprise that, I'll pick it up sometime soon

Excellent, wonderfully loopy

I love this LP and it has always been a charity shop regular in the UK under the title of Fire and Ice, but with a much less interesting sleeve than the Greek original.

Thanks for this recommendation, I'm really enjoying listening to it. It definitely sounds quite like the aphrodites child/vangelis (particularly Earth) stuff. There's lots of unusual instrumentation and it's definitely quite inventive. I've only played it a few times though.

Has anyone tried the second album Forever and Ever? I'm hoping it might be quite similar to the first one.

thanks stuart

spotted one of his albums in a charity shop yesterday. unfortunately it was a later one. will keep looking though.