UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Sweet-Desolation Boulevard

Just received this today from a very generous soul,i just wanted to say i loved hearing this album,i really like it,some fab heavy fuzzed out moves on this,just loved the tracks The 6 Teens,Sweet FA & Ballroom Blitz,but really i enjoyed it all.Any other recommendations?I do have the cd of Early Sweet released by Repertoire Records and also the debut album......but this cd leaves them standing with its hard rock vibe.Anyone have a fave Sweet album or cd?How many albums did they release back then??Really interested to learn more about them!!Thank you,ya know who you are!!!!!!!

Re: The Sweet-Desolation Boulevard

Back in '74, Sweet hit that 'sweet' spot for me... 14 years old and working my first job, so all my spare cash (after room and board) went to records. Glam was big at the time, well not so much in Canada I guess, but I sure liked it... Bowie, T.Rex, Slade, Alice Cooper, The New York Dolls and Sweet - I was right into all of them.
It's so cool that you've just heard Desolation Boulevard now Stuart, I think it's probably THE best of all of their albums - you are right, every track is "Killer, no filler". Since you're looking for more of the same, I suggest Sweet Fanny Adams, although about 50% of the album you'll already have with DB, the remainder is well worth it (I even like their cover of Joey Dee & The Starliters 'Peppermint Twist').
Give Us A Wink gets a bit harder... 'Action' was a fantastic single and really sits well with everything on Desolation, but I think this is where they started to shed the Glam roots (the Bubblegum roots were shed completely by now of course). I like it all, except the overlong 'Healer'.

Re: The Sweet-Desolation Boulevard

Hi Mark,im actually waiting for Sweet Fanny Adams to pop through my letter box any day now,im really looking forward to hearing this cd as its an expanded remastered edition.Yes the Desolation Boulevard i have is the US release,it seems theres other tracks on the European version of this album that are just as good.Thanks for the info Mark,much appreciated!!