UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New cds

Anyone have this???

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TRUFFLES-20-PSYCHEDELIC-RARE-GROOVY-FLOORPACKERS-MOD-FREAKBEAT-PSYCH-HEAR-/231352818987?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item35ddb3dd2b

This may appeal to some here

Millions Like Us - The Story Of The Mod Revival 1977-1989 Box set

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NVB0FNM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p15_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0H0JF2T4Z906JQZJN8JR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

Re: New cds

Hi Paul,
Yes, I have 'Truffles', it's a good groovy Spanish pop comp and in good mastered sound, though without digging it out I think it's a pro-press CDR but the digi packaging's professional. When I got mine a few years back it was being sold by a Spanish record collector in Tunbridge Wells and he also had another Spanish comp made the same way which I forgrt the title of (possibly beginning with 'V'?) ! He also issued a proper CD comp a while back called 'The Spanish Fairytale'which is good as well.

I pre-ordered the 'Millions Like Us' set as well last week, nice to have this kind of format for the mod revival bands rather than just the stand alone CDs of individual artists (though I've got plenty of those also)

PM

I agree with Paul M. - Truffles is a good comp, despite 'only' being a CD-R. And you're right, the comp itself is Spanish, but not the contents (minus a couple of tracks).
I was actually listening to it yesterday and submitted it to the Discogs database: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Truffles/release/6170939.

The other CD Paul M. mentions is called Evolution! Revolution!, and this one is Spanish in every sense

Thanks for the infos!
Nice price too, off to order mine now

Thanks lads,

guess new to be rather than new new then. I think the seller is also selling the other comp. mentioned.

Interested to see what psych'eads think of the mod revival. Occasional great songs but a lot of dross methinks. But I always liked the Jam-they had some good semi-psych moments, Tales from the riverbank, Butterfly collector. Also liked Eleanor Rigby (a bit later) Purple Hearts and Secret Affair and the Gents had their moments. Nothing like as good as the 60s bands though.

I like a lot of mod revival stuff, though it's misleading to label a lot of it mod I think. As the puff for the new box set notes, it starts out as being punky-power pop, as that's where a lot of the band's origins are. I am from Brighton originally and know bands like the Vandells, (Dave Barnard et al) who had previously been a punk band called The Depressions (and several other bands before that like The Tonge, (featured on the obscure 'Do What Thou Whilst' LP comp of a year or two bakc). Then the sound progresses more into a soulful mode as Weller moves the Jam in that direction in the early 80s. Weller was where most mod people took their copntemporary cues at the time.

I love bands like The Prisoners (see upcomimng issue of Shindig), Makin' Time and The Chords who had a lot of class and originality and were not just slavishly trying to reinvent 1964. Taken on its own terms, there's lots to be enjoyed from the likes of Squire or The Purple Hearts for instance. Let's not forget also that modern modernism (i.e. post 1989 where the box ends) is a different creature from the initial revival, far more Austin Powers. So, like garage reveival etc, it's not something that stands still in a time warp but evolves and reflects the tastes and interpretations of each new generation that tunes into it.

PM

Cheers Paul,

I think the Weller point is a good one but the 80s production values didn't help.Never took to the prisoners- don't know why. Maybe my problem with the later stuff is that the during the 60s the music was a reflection of current trends while later bands were trying to recreate a certain vibe. Its the same reason I find much of the new psych/mod/pop so unappealing.

The Zutons weren't bad mind!

I find the whole idea of 'revival' music pretty depressing, particularly when you are talking about futuristic and forward looking genre like psychedelia. I remember the mod revival bands of the 70s and the 'paisley underground' bands of the 80s, and there was nothing approaching the best of the original genres. They were generally palid imitations full of cliché.

Mod and psych were originally fashioned by the greatest most creative minds in pop and while they may have been influenced to a degree by past music or culture, they would not have been interested in 'revival' or 'retro' music.

There wasn't much to be retro or revivalist about in the orginal time frame of course. A lot of today's contemporary psychedelic practioners especially, regard what they do as a continuation of, rather than a revival of psych. I think that's probably the best way to look at it. I always thought Hawkwind (1970-75 anyway)were psych heads who hadn't realised psych had ended years ago, but they're regarded as 'space rock' as if it's something different.

Though to paraphrase French social theorist Guy Debord; the society that celebrates the rituals of the past is itself a society without anything of its own to celebrate. And he wrote that in in 1967. Think on young 'uns!

PM

Picked up the 'Truffles' & 'Revolution, evolution, change' comps.
Truffles is a decent collection of intl. fuzzy mod dancers with some pop psych bits but I think this one doesn't really get going till a few tracks in...still worth having but it's the other cd, 'Revolution, Evolution, Change' that does it for me, all Spanish 70's stuff. Starts with a couple of great breezy pop psychers and gets heavier...more funky an fuzzy as it goes on...fiery stuff.
All I want to hear in a comp of any genre is some great songs and this one has more than a few.
Recommended and a steal at the price.

As you speak about revival stuff, there is an association in South of France called Avé the Sound who produces LP and CD with French bands playing 60's music. The last comp is called "1966: Back from the south of nowhere" in orange vinyl (or CD) and with a sleeve I do like, as I like the music. And you can listen to all the songs here: http://avethesound.bandcamp.com/album/1966-back-in-the-south-of-nowhere

Here is their catalogue: http://avethesound.bandcamp.com/

The association purpose with the comps is: "With the profits of the records “South of Nowhere” sales stereo systems will be donated to paediatric services in which children are hospitalized".

I am not member, just a buyer and I've been very happy with the music I received from them.