UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tapestry of Delights 2 volume edition

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has bought this new edition of Tapestry. I pre-ordered it from Amazon 4 months ago when it was first announced but on publication date they only managed to send me the 1st volume A-K and had no 2nd volume L-Z to send! So I sent the single volume back and got refunded. Maybe there's another Amazon UK customer out there with an L-Z volume and no A-K? I've asked elsewhere, market place sellers etc., to see if their offer includes both volumes but none of them have the books to hand, they're always sent from warehouses, so they can't confirm if they are offering both volumes or not. I've decided not to bother and stick with the last version from several years ago that I have.

I did not have time to make comparisons between the last and new editions in terms of new entries, corrections etc. I did notice though in looking through the A-K volume, that a lot of original press adverts have been added for various albums (there are none in the previous edition). I wonder if the extra 1000 pages are largely down to this kind of addition rather than significant numbers of new entries? It looked to me as if TAD were co-opting the Galctic Ramble approach in his respect. So maybe if you have the last edition of TAD and Galactic Ramble, there isn't that much need to get the new 2 volume edition anyway, just guessing. I also noticed the pages are thinner than the last edition. Still looks like a nice item though.

PM

Re: Tapestry of Delights 2 volume edition

Sorry Paul, I have two versions of Tapestry of Delights, the Revised Fuzz Acid and Flowers, Endless Trip, and Galactic Ramble and had to stop there. I'd be curious to hear about the new one as well, but it don't think I'll have the $ for it even if it is a vast improvement. Glad they are upgrading it of course, but it may be a while before I can purchase it, especially if I ever hope to purchase any of the vinyl listed therein. It is a canonical text round these parts, and all my copies are well-thumbed. But I would like to hear about it from others as well. I have to say I owe Vernon Joynson a huge debt of gratitude for producing this book, although in another way it has fed my obsession...
Still, it has led me to lots of geat music. I'm still surprised that Galactic Ramble doesn't mention any Tucky Buzzard apart from Warm Slash, but I guess that is the only UK release of their early albums now that I think of it. That's also a very helpful tome.

I will have to wait a while before i get the new double volume,it just aint in my price range at the moment,but like you Joe i have Galactic Ramble and the last updated TOD,so they will have to be suffice for the moment,I must say all the other ref books like Fuzz ,Dreams Fantasies and Nightmares and TOD are all splitting ,with pages falling out,i do hope those new ones are binded better as all my books are in a pretty poor condition,but Galactic Ramble seems to be standing the test of being handled everyday which im glad off,funnily enough Endless Trip is also standing the test of major handling,both books by Richard Morton Jack and published by the same publisher,maybe the publisher and maker of Vernon Joynsons books can take a leaf out of those books and not have pages falling out of them and splitting.Heres hoping!!Does anyone else have problems with their books splitting at the bind resulting in pages falling out etc???A real pain in the arse i must say!!!Moan over!!!!!But i too have enjoyed all books mentioned and they have at the end of the day cost me a fortune in purchases after reading about them in those books.Its funny as at the mo im not reading them as much as i used too,its like window shopping and having no money to buy,very frustrating......lol.......

Thanks for the warning Stuart. So far my Fuzz and Tapestry haven't split, but I'll handle them gently. As you point out, Galactic Ramble and Endless Trip are holding fine.
Listening to Elmer Gantry's first album at the moment. What a great psych album (referring back to our discussion of fave psych albums, Stuart). This may actually win my vote of greatest but least hyped psych album. It's amazing and it gets so much less press than Piper, Ogden, S.F Sorrow, etc. to say nothing of Sgt. Pepper or Satanic of course. But the first Elmer Gentry album is just so solid from start to end. Reversed cymbals. Mellotron, great songs, amazing bass guitar.

My tapestry from about 10 years ago has all the colour centre
pages with the LP / 45 sleeves falling out too but the rest is ok.

Joe in with you on Elmer Gantry and the Velvet Opera,an absolutely bloody good album indeedy and one as you say very rarely gets spoken in the same company as 0gdens,piper,sf sorrow and pepper......i really dont know why as all the tracks are excellent and its well produced too..........I just bought the Grapefruit Records cd that came out last year with a couple of rough demos as extras along with the single sides and a track from a horror movie "Talk of the Devil"and 2 unreleased tracks from 1967,so you get 11 bonus tracks in total,great value for the money with excellent liners by Dave Wells and some cool photos.I must say if you have the Repertoire cd of this album ,this Grapefruit version on cd is well worth getting too.Its a shame the Velvet Opera without Elmer album"Ride a Hustlers Dream"is such a mixed album,again some good psychy sounds on offer but theres also some drech too im afraid....definitely NOT as good as Elmers lot!!!!

Good call Joe....and by the way i hope you had a good birthday mate!!!Nice talking to you the other night!!!!!

Love the EG album and glad to own both the original LPs. Just a pity the BBC tracks (there are many more) are not available, legaly or at all

After years of searching finally found the Velvet Opera 45 "Hole in My Pocket"/"She Keeps Giving Me Those Feelings" on Spark. I don't have the BBC stuff though...
Great catching up Stu and thanks for the birthday wishes! Another trip around the sun...

I have an EGVO bootleg LP that I purchased via Midnight Records in NYC in the late '90s that has what purports to be their BBC Session from January 27, 1968. The track listing is as follows:

Side 1
All Along The Watchtower
Mary Jane
Something Else
Short interview with Brian Matthew
Flames

Side 2
Mother Writes
Flames (Acetate)
Flames (Acetate cleaned sound)

Assuming the date of this BBC session is indeed correct, it's a strong possibility that their version of "All Along The Watchtower" would have been based on The Nashville Teens' version, which was issued as a 45 at roughly the same time.

I think I saw that at Twisted Village (a picture of the band playing chess on the cover?) but I never picked it up. And Stuart, I agree the Velvet Opera album is less solid. Some good stuff on it though. Still a worthy purchase. And that Spark single is a good one. I think there's involvement by David MacTavish of Tintern Abbey on those two songs.

With so much online and forums like this nowadays, I haven't felt the need to update my Vernon books, particularly as they are expensive and postage to Aust. is huge.

Exactly Greg, that's why I was in two minds about buying the new 2 volume TOD to start with and once Amazon ballsed up the order I decided not to bother anyway. I must say removing the last edition of Fuzz Acid and Flowers from the shelf is an awkward enough effort given its size let alone using it! Nice to feel its sheer mass and weight though!

PM

Joe McFarland
I think I saw that at Twisted Village (a picture of the band playing chess on the cover?) but I never picked it up.

That would be the one.

Hi, Received mine in the post this morning and fortunately both volumes were in the carton. I have the previous two editions as well so I can do some comparisons later if you wish. Really noticeable are the updates on re-issues and compilations, for example the entry for the Kinks stretches to almost five pages. Have found the following, though;

"Jimmy Campbell now lives in Liverpool and continues to write songs."

There were errors in the previous volume, too, but Campbell died back in 2007, so somebody stuffed up.

Overall, the updates are up to very recent. Jackie Lomax's entry has noted his death, also mentions the album released posthumously ( "Against All Odds"). The Heavy Jelly entry mentions the recent cd issue on Angel Air too. The number of pages has increased from 978 in the 2006 edition ("Revisited") to 2120 in this monster.

And, Mr WW, the postage from Amazon.uk to Australia was GBP8.48, I thought that was very reasonable for the weight of the two books.

Thanks for that Andy, it prompted me to look again. I have just ordered a copy of the the new 2 vol edtion from Speedyhen on Ebay. Anyone in UK still considering buying this new edition, get it here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tapestry-of-Delights-Expanded-Two-Volume-Edition-The-Ultimate-Guide-to-UK-Roc-/191387163979?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c8f905d4b

Just £39.40 post free! That's only £4 more than the last single volume edition!

AS VJ says in his introduction there's bound to be errors and omissions etc. in a work of this size. I think a lot of that stems from a lack of updates over successive editions so they built up somewhat and not all have been amended. Nonetheless for the price it now is, it's definitely worth having. It's currently £68 on Amazon, with a lot of market place sellers offering it at just £41 and my pre-order that Amazon cocked up was £52, so just as well I got the refund and saved another £12 plus change!

PM

Thanks for that Andy. That is cheap, in fact cheaper than the usual postage cost of an lp.

Just received the 2 volumes, they are (literally!) pretty heavy! I hate to think what a two volume Fuzz Acid and Flowers would weigh in at! Even though everything is so easily available at the click of a button on the internet these days, it's nice to know there are people who care enough to still produce the physical volumes. Though I am rather bemused at the lengthy inclusion of Shirley Bassey in such a tome!

PM

Hi

Seeing the comment on the inclusion of Shirley I'd just like to clarify the scope of the book.

It is explained in the book’s foreword, but the scope of this book is much broader than UK psych and prog alone. Whilst the book covers both psych and prog in much detail, it also sets out to cover all UK-based pop and rock artists (other than soul or reggae artists) who released vinyl between 1963 and 1976 and who are likely to be of interest to record collectors. This means that as well as psych and prog acts, artists releasing mainstream rock & pop, beat, R&B, folk, folk-rock, jazz-rock and glam-rock are all covered too. The scope of the book is much wider than the ‘Fuzz, Acid and Flowers’ book, that focuses on the US. This is because the UK is a much smaller country and had far less acts in this era than the US so I am able to include more genres. There is just a relatively short list at the end of the book of artists who recorded between 1963 and 1976 who are not included. These are mostly artists’ whose heyday was in the early sixties but who continued to record after 1963.

So the book aims to document almost all UK artists who recorded between 1963 and 1976 that are likely to be of interest to record collectors. It starts with the emergence of beat and ends at the emergence of punk. The early punk acts are not included as they were covered in my 2001 publication ‘Up Yours!’

There is also a hardback edition of the book limited to 600 numbered copies.
(ISBN: 978-1-899855-20-9).

I hope this info will be of some use to you.

All the best

Vernon