UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grapefruit-juicy with bits

Listening to the album "Around Grapefruit"by the group Grapefruit and i must say its one of the best pop with a hint of psych albums released at that time which was 1968.A real faultless album in my opinion,Most of you probably know the connections they had with The Beatles but this seemed to hinder them rather than help them in the long run.....!!!This is a (shall i say that work?)magic album,12 tracks with so much going for them,good arrangements with the likes of strings,woodwind,harpsichord and yummy vocals in the mix.Picks of the pack for me are"Another Game","Yes"Dear Delilah" and""Aint It Good"but my favourite number is the instrumental"Theme for Twiggy",this just stinks of psych to me,with its beautiful harpsichord and yummy mellotron with a fab guitar part,i never tire of this track and have heard it loads of times,It seems Grapefruit released a load of singles that where on this album but with little success,i just cant undeerstand that,theyre songs are mavelous creations and have a hook to them too and fab production too.It really was an injustice this group where not huge!!!!!

As for the second album "Deep Water"from 1969 a real change of sound which makes a lot of folk discard it just for that reason alone,but to hear it with fresh ears a think it aint all that bad,its not great,dont get me wrong....theres a real mix of sounds on this album and one influence i can hear in this album are The Band!!tracks like "Cant Find Me","Lady Godiva"and"THe Right Direction"stink of the sound of The Band!!But the pick of the bunch is the number"Blues In Your Head" imo.With its wailing guitar making it appealing to me with haunting organ work in the mix too.

One cd i have to recommend is the "Around the BBC" collection,this was released by RPM Records in 2007 which i think is hard to get at a decent and sane price those!! Maybe its because there are a few tracks never released by Grapefruit invcluded on this.But mainly its sessions they did at the BBC and mainly concentrate on "Around Grapefruit" material,but unissued numbers like"Breaking up a Dream","Say you Dont Mind","Trying to Make It To Monday","Somebodys Turning on the People"and the Beegees "To Love Somebody",one real standout is 1 of 2 tracks from "Deep Water",the title track sounds great on this session and like the "Around grapefruit"stuff sounds more at edge and rawer sounding than the album versions.A fabulous cd to hear!!!!!!
Right i better kick myself off here as it lokks and probably feels like reading a book to you!!Dont mean to bore you all.....lol!!!!

Anyone have anything to say about this Group Grapefruit???

Re: Grapefruit-juicy with bits

I've always loved Around Grapefruit so I agree with your sentiments. I thought the sound quality on most of the live album wasn't so great and I also didn't like the second album very much.

I'm a fan of the Around Grapefruit album. In fact I may play it this evening!

Really nice album, 'Lullaby' probably my fave.
BBC disc is great too, 'Trying to make it to Monday' is such a great song to leave unreleased at the time.
With BBC sessions I often like the fact that a lot of recordings have a harder
edge than the released versions, but the version of 'Elevator' on Around The BBC
is one song that actually sounds a bit softer...a little floaty if you like, and it's quite charming!
It was on the BBC disc I first heard the song 'Deep Water' and I thought it was great..I caved in and got the Deep Water album even though I'd heard negative things about it, my thoughts are it ain't all bad but not great either

Had all the singles in the 60s and vinyl lp bought lp in 86 for 8 quid now have the cd.

BBC disc is awesomwes

I was completely wrong about this one! I think it's excellent. I haven't listened to the last two songs yet but the quality is consistently good and the performances are really excellent too.