UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starry Eyed And Laughing

I've been reading about SE&L in the latest Shindig. Been sampling tunes from their two LPs and unissued pre-album recordings on Youtube etc. Beautiful Byrds like songs but from the early-mid 1970s. How could they ever have been bracketed as 'pub rock'!? Judging from the songs I've listened to, I'd love to hear their two albums properly. They have copies of their 2 x albums as double disc set for £25 on their website, though these would appear to be only CDRs made in 2003 so seems rather expensive. It needs Angel Air or RPM etc to put these out as proper CDs with the band's involvement. The band have also just issued another CDR of pre-album recordings which are just as enchanting (see links below)from the samples I've heard.

PM

Starry eyed and laughing - That Was Now And This Is Then (2 x CD iss 2003 of their 2 1970s LPs + singles £25 + £3 post on their on website)
http://www.starryeyedandlaughing.com/Starry_Sales.htm CDRS though

Starry Eyed And Laughing – Forever Young (pre-debut album unissued) £12 + £2 post
http://www.starryeyedandlaughing.com/Starry_Rec_ForeverYoung.htm CDR

Re: Starry Eyed And Laughing

Hi Paul,
I have a compilation from 2009 titled "all their best". It's on a Cherry Red imprint called Broadside, remastered by Tony Poole. It's definitely worth getting while we're waiting for comprehensive re-issues.
It contains selected album tracks, some single tracks, an alternate version of "Chimes of Freedom" and a couple of radio recordings.

Thanks Andy, I think I saw that one mentioned somewhere. if I can get it cheap, I'll plump for it as a stop gap.

Cheers
Paul

£56 on amazon! I am loath ot buy a download but @ £7.50 it's a comparative bargain. Bugger all on ebay for the vinyl or CD

PM

Paul, you can download the two albums here: http://musicmp3spb.org/artist/starry_eyed_and_laughing.html

Not the highest quality but better than nothing.

37£ for two CDR, it's a joke.

Thanks Philippe - Have you D/Ld this yourself? I'm always wary of Eastern European websites. You never know what else you might be inadvertently downloading with the music.

Paul

Yes I download the two albums on my Mac with no virus. I never had any problem with East-Europe websites. Perhaps I am lucky...

Sometimes, they are the only sites where we find what we are looking for.

But these SE&L mp3 are low quality (192), just better than using YouTube I think.

Hi Philippe, you are right of course. However, someone else is kindly dropboxing the albums for me.

Paul

I got the Forever Young cd today. Stuck on repeat!
I can't praise this highly enough. 14 of the 18 songs have never been released
before in any form and seriously these are wonderful songs, just as good and sometimes even better than anything on the 2 albums. All the songs are fully finished and sound exquisite.
Without doubt the best thing I've bought this year.
Beautiful!!

I should really get this then.

PM

I took the plunge and ordered both cdrs from their site,as Philippe said a bit expensive as both cdrs plus postage was 41 quid......GULP!!!!!Cant believe i went ahead and bought them,but this group sound like the dogs bollocks(in english that means good)Should be delivered anyday now!!Cant wait to hear both of those albums and the unreleased stuff,can i ask whats the difference between a release like this and a cd release as compared to what this is a cdr release??
It seems everything has been taken from master tapes,so im hoping the sound is good,plus it seems both releases have copious liners etc!!Once i receive them i'll get back and leave a review on here!!

One word:Magic!!!

Received both the Forever Young and the double cd of both albums yesterday,both are excellent ,sound is terrific,package is good with many photos and liners.What a talented group who are more than Byrds copiests.A very talented group whos songs i had never heard before!!So this is a revelation to me.....i wholeheartedy recommend both releases which have been put together by band member Tony Poole,all tracks on both releases are from the original tapes...this aint no cheapie cdr release as i have had in the past,this has been put together with thought and most of all respect to a great group and its music......i know its expensive but man i think its worth it with the unreleased stuff being as good as if not better then the album releases just as Painterman mentioned.This is an early birthday treat for me given by me....lol.

"May your God always go with you
may your wishes all come true
may you always do for others
and have others do for you...
may you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung
may you stay....Forever Young!!"

Recieved both 'Forever Young and This is Now.. sets on Saturday, just been playing them. I agree entirely with both Painterman and Stuart, these are really lovely listens. Any Byrds fan (other than Sweethearts of The Rodeo) will be salavating all over these! Even if you don't want to spend £25 on the 2 x CD set, Forever Young is worth ever penny of its £12 price, plus it's in a neat card gatefold sleeve. All 18 songs sound like a long lost Byrds album and in fabulous sound quality, superb!

PM