UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Judee Sill - Duncan Browne

Listening to Judee first album I discovered a similitude to Duncan Browne's first lp. In particular, Lady-O could be well an outtake of Duncan's first album, and the beautiful Turtles version is all the same. But there are other similar songs/arrangements too. Anyway a good album if you don't know it, the 2CDs Rhino extended comp. is a must

Re: Judee Sill - Duncan Browne

Gian i've just gave Judee Sills debut a listen,and you are right ,there are similarities in sound and arrangements,i had never thought of that before.....the biggest diference of course being the vocals,but heres a couple of tracks i feel that are similar"Crayon Angels"and"The lamb ran away with the crown",the thing is there are a few years difference between those releases with Duncan Brownes debut out a good couple of year at least before Judee Sills,but the arrangements of strings and a slight baroque feel to the instrumentation is kinda similar ....yeh a few tracks could be switched with Duncan Brownes vocals and they would not sound out of place on"Give Me Take You"....well spotted Gian!!As for the double cd of Jude Sills 2 album with generous bonus tracks titled"Abracadabra-The Asylum Years"is a cracking listen indeed,but man what a tragic story her life reads........

Yes Stuart those two track are in the same mood and actually Lady O was written back in 1969 and recorded with the same arrangements by The Turtles. It could well be they got a copy of "On The Bombsite" that was also pressed in the Usa the year before, as far as I remember

Strange you say so, Gian.

I absolutely lurv the Duncan Brown lp.
I absolutely abhor the Sill. (Actually this was the biggest disappointment for me after hearing all the hype - and after not getting the lp at a reasonable price.)

Ahah, I got the original LPs at 8 pounds each, so I love them