UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Day in my Minds Mind vol 4

I see this collection is available,the first 3 in this series were excellent so this compilation has a lot to live up too!!

Comilation.of heavy psych, pop psych and sunshine pop from New Zealand's psyche­delic scene 1966 - 1972. A Day In My Mind's Mind Volume 4 soars the sonic heights from the heavier side of the Kiwi psychedelic scene before descending into the valley of pop psych and sunshine pop. Like the first three volumes the psych underground scene is explored with landmark recordings and unreleased tracks while paying homage to all involved with extensive liner notes...the stories behind the music are just as colourful as the music itself. 27 tracks in all, including contributions from The Avengers, The Brew, Sebastian's Floral Array, Tom Thumb, The New Zealand Trading Company, The Underdogs, Lew Pryme and many more. Track Listing: 1: 1. Hurt, Love And Fire - Chris Malcolm 2. Bengal Tiger - The Brew 3. Little Things That Happen - Ray Woolf And the Avengers 4. A Bread and Butter Day - The Dave Miller Set 5. Reach Out - Gene Pierson 6. Hey Bulldog - Tom Thumb 7. The Days of Pearly Spencer - The Avengers 8. Oh What A Day - The New Zealand Trading Company 9. Carpet Man - Troubled Mind 10. Dear Madelaine - The Arch 11. Summer Set Morning - The Avengers 12. Cold Rain and Snow - Salvation 13. Is He Going to Die? - The Underdogs 14. Tea for Two - The Brew 15. Hey Joe - Sebastian's Floral Array 16. Fire - Cellophane 17. Race With the Devil - Rebirth 18. Waterpipe - The Avengers 19. Trip on Life - Chris Malcolm 20. Gracious Lady (Alice Dee) - Lew Pryme 21. The House Beside the Mine - Hayden Wood 22. Like the Sun Like the Fire - Salvation 23. Up the Wooden Hills to Bedfordshire - The Clevedonaires 24. Love Is Not A Game - Mee and the Others 25. Computerised Existence - Lew Pryme 26. Slighty-Delic - Bryce Peterson 27. Nature - Wayne Mason & Ali Richardson (Demo

Re: A Day in my Minds Mind vol 4

Thanks Stuart, I'll have that! Loved the other three as you say. Seeing a listng for the 'New Zealand Trading Company' takes me back to the early days of the RZ notice board when CDR trading was making all kinds of unheard rarities possible to hear that that we take for granted now in the download age and with so many reissues since. I seem to recall that the NZTC were said not to be actually from NZ, but the USA! Clearly that would seem to be wrong.

I enjoy the two NZ/Oz comps on Particles as well, so this is a nice addition to that cannon I can see we're into the 70s on this 4th volume from some of the artists. There was some good Kiwi music in that early-mid 70s period.
PM

A good teaser selection on Youtube for this comp as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42aWcPRURL8

Great to see the Ray Wolf & The Avengers tune on here, I got a reissue 45 of that a year or more ago (unissued originally I think?).

PM

BTW Stuart, where did you see it advertised / get the track listing from? I can't find it outside of NZ esxcept via Smoke CDs in NZ on Amazon UK (at nearly £14). I'm sure I bought the other three at around a tenner each but can't remember where / who from!

PM

Have the other three so will look out for this.
Didn't realise Hayden Wood were fro NZ.

Superb!!
Loved the others vols...above average series methinks!
My first vol was from Heyday Paul, I think it was £10.99 but that must
be about 7 years ago now...
Thanx Stuart

Some really good stuff on there, but I must admit I'm put off slightly by the fact that at least a third of the CD consists of cover versions.

I just ordered this 2LP version which is out now in a limited edition of 500 copies. I guess it's just a 'best of' the CD volumes, but it looks very nice, and I just couldn't resist...

http://www.realgroovy.co.nz/Product/6634277/A-Day-In-My-Mind%27s-Mind

Yes, looks like a best of the series, but nice to have on vinyl like that. Judging by the blurb, it would seem to be specifically made for the Real Groovy company as well, so even more special, nice! I ordered the CD of Vol.4 on Monday on Amazon from Smoke Records in NZ. Not used them before but they seem to be a pretty regular Amazon UK MPS presence.

PM