UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OH YES WE CAN A HISTORY OF GLAMROCK

Just checked this album out curious as to why the first cd had this listing so strange inclusions anyone know why
Disc: 1
1. Mad Dogs And Englishmen - Noël Coward
2. Around And Around - Chuck Berry
3. Ooh My Soul - Little Richard
4. Brand New Cadillac - Vince Taylor & Ses Play-Boys
5. Gurney Slade - Max Harris
6. Bee-Bom - Anthony Newley
7. Jealousy - Billy Fury
8. You'll Be Mine - Howlin' Wolf
9. Amsterdam - Jacques Brel
10. I'm Waiting For The Man - The Velvet Underground, Nico
11. London, Bye, Ta Ta - David Bowie
12. 1969 - The Stooges
13. Lola - The Kinks
14. Neanderthal Man - Hotlegs
15. Burundi Black - Burundi Black
16. Back Street Luv - Curved Air
17. Charity Ball - Fanny
18. Magpie - The Murgatroyd Band
19. Son Of My Father - Chicory Tip
20. Hot Love - T. Rex
21. Coz I Luv You - Slade

Re: OH YES WE CAN A HISTORY OF GLAMROCK

Hi Phil,
It's not a straight forward 'best of' glam rock comp. It sets out to explore or trace the roots of glam and its influence beyond its own time frame, covering all the different aspects of it. I think for instance Noel Coward gets included because he represents the origins of a gay or camp musical aspect, as do the Kinks with 'Lola' (cross-dressing, bi-sexual ambiguity etc. a la Bowie as 'Ziggy Stardust').

Really all you needed for that was to start with Jobriath, his two albums (73-74) are great and there was no abiguity about him, he was the first opnely gay rock / pop musician / singer. I don't have this comp, but my brother does. It contextualises or explains the inclusion of each track in the book that comes with it.

It threw a lot of glam fans at first for the same reasons as you Phil! It is though actually an intelligent attempt to analyse and contextualise all the strands of glam and make a genre family tree of inlfuences, causes and effects out of it. It dos though, rightly in my view, omit Gary Glitter but does include the Glitter Band instead.

If this was done as a BBC4 rock-doc on a Friday night, it would be very interesting. The set comes as a hard bound book format with the CDs clipped in the inside of each cover and the book itself in the middle. I didn't bother with it as I have 90% of the tunes on other comps or as original vinyl, but it's an interesting way to explore glam if you're just curious about it.

PM

Re: OH YES WE CAN A HISTORY OF GLAMROCK

thanks paul i can see where you are coming from